John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know someone else in the headphone cable business who markets his stuff as using OCC. He knows it's a load of BS, but feels he needs to use it in order to get sales.
If his stuff does indeed use OCC, then it isn't BS or immoral.
Likewise someone stating, "All our products use the capacitor brand most favored by the world's most discriminating audiophiles."

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Bcarso, are there really any real headphone engineers at Beats? I thought these, as well as most headphones were derived from outside consultants. In fact, I think I know one guy who was associated with these and many other headphones out there. He is one cynical guy.
According to one friend there are some, at least now. But since being absorbed by Apple, I suspect we'll never know what's going on --- other than in the unlikely event that we go to work there, at One Infinite Loop (if that is still the address).

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I think a lot of the better headphone drivers are sourced from Fostex of Japan. I was lucky enough to go to their factory about 1 hour out of Tokyo in 2009. They had a 'showroom' with dozens of speaker systems, headphones, drivers etc. no brand names visible but it was clear they were supplying stuff to all and sundry. I also visited Audio Technica - quite a small outfit.

Bespoke.

(names as corvin/cleverley/sargent are too tacky for my taste, Italian ones are fag. I have feet which belong in the zoo)

I could have used one of your 17"+ collars for my son's wedding, I couldn't find one of mine and at the last minute had to resort to a safety pin. Dress up is a once a year thing for me. I've always been told I'm quite Neanderthal.

I don't know how to make a world standard audio product at an 'affordable' price. There is just too much to the design, both in quality parts and complexity to make it cheaply. I do wish that less would be spent on the outside finish, but that DOES go along with the territory. Hi end customers demand visual art as well as performance, and this does double the price or more.

quite Neanderthal.

In comparison to humans, most monkeys have hands with a palm that is less wide, a thumb that is shorter and much less muscular.
In comparison to the 'standard' human hand geometry, my thumb is much longer and more muscular.
The palm of my hand is over 4'' wide, the length of my middle finger is over 5''.
On the other 'hand', I have syndactyly hands, sorta. The proximal (phalanx) bone part of my fingers is not connected by skin to another finger for about 30% of it's length. Image of my hand at the Bybee fraud thread.

Same same for my feet, my first toes have way above 'standard' muscularity and stick out an inch before toe number 2.
In comparison to an ape, my hands and feet are a step up the genetic ladder.
Clearly, the 46cm neck exposes me as an utter fraud. (I fake having the hatch closed too)
In the conformity world of 2015, I do require bespoke shoes, plus bespoke gloves.

(the reason for knowing the measurements of my hands by heart should be obvious to you, my son also turned out a reject 'model')

Last edited:
I don't know how to make a world standard audio product at an 'affordable' price. There is just too much to the design, both in quality parts and complexity to make it cheaply. I do wish that less would be spent on the outside finish, but that DOES go along with the territory. Hi end customers demand visual art as well as performance, and this does double the price or more.

Hi Mr.Curl

I think that this simple DIY SS power amp have some level of specific visual retro art attraction , special when amp top cover cage is removed as is ,
and most of serious `hi end` customers with enough developed good taste for industrial art will be attracted , special if that amp in the same time sounds good to.

Attachments

• d0202319_20454111.jpg
    d0202319_20454111.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 164
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
The cost of the enclosure is so large a part of the product cost. Of course really good switches are costly as well.

I noticed that Borbely did a preamp product recently that Fremer commented looked pretty industrial/awful. To MF's credit he was able to get past that and listen and like (and it helped that it was a Borbely heavy-on-JFET design, which gives your critic something to remark on).

However, I doubt that they have sold very many of them.

Meanwhile a tech at Harman helped another tech there with less-lofty price point intention do a little phono preamp --- the contribution being how to illuminate a bit of a plexi piece with blue LEDs. The resulting product looks very cool and evidently sounds quite decent, and has been well-reviewed.

If he is following this interminable thread, I hope I got that latter story correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.