John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
but what makes -86db of noise audible?

Up till my late 30s or above, my hearing extended way beyond 20k.
When I started DIY electronics, I noticed that a bit of white noise* can be a desirable cover-up.
Actually glad my hearing went down, most high frequency sound is awful, annoying with music/voices.
(* a bark noise spectrum might be better, but nowadays I only hear green noise)

20dB gain is the difference between 100nV/rtHz input noise and 1uV/rtHz input stage noise.

(please excuse the pics, all scent and no smell makes johnny an annoying lad)

When I was biking in England/Scotland this summer there were lots of inns / pubs
named "xyzzy Arms" where xyzzy was typically the name of the local entity of
6 houses. Where does that come from?

cheers, Gerhard

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22coat+of+arms%22&lr=&hl=en&as_qdr=all&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CFMQ7AlqFQoTCOuBzcvTpMgCFQMziAod9PICYQ&biw=1366&bih=635

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pub_names More stuff here down page

Last edited:
Well, here in the Scottish Borders we have had a very good evening. We went to a recital in the local church. The church has a good acoustic and gave us a better chance than the local school to hear a brilliant young duo playing cello and piano.

The cellist is a young girl who is still following a normal education in her local school in S.England; she is but 17 years old. However in 2012 she won the BBC's "Young Musician of the Year award". Where she will go to study music goodness only knows...she has prodigious talent. Her pianist was also very very good and together they played some sublime music.

Here are a couple of tube links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMlSE56jncg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt0cWAVCy7k

Not bad for a Dutch-Swiss schoolgirl educated in England!:)

Actually glad my hearing went down, most high frequency sound is awful, annoying with music/voices.
This is because in the past you could actually hear certain harmonic distortion, whereas now you can't. For an 8kHz fundamental, most people our age can't even hear the 2nd harmonic at 16kHz - this means we can't tell the tonal difference between an 8kHz sine wave and a 8kHz square wave. Whereas, oh the joys of youth, formerly we could.

oh the joys of youth

My diy friend was in his early 50s when I was early 20s, he could pinpoint distortion within an inch at loudspeaker front/edges, I couldn't.

Thanks to a chiropractor messing with my head, I ended up at a neurologist a couple of years ago. EMG, MRI, the works, plus a hearing test, I still manage 18+kHz. Did have a beep in my head for a couple of years, gone now.
Around the millennium switch, I had an ear mishap. Hearing test, 23+kHz.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/91686-double-ear-infection.html#post1078674
At age 17, I spent 3 full days at a navy admittance/test center. Over an hour in a sound-proof room which only lacked a straitjacket, having to press a telegraph key 100s of times for a full hearing read-out at various phon levels. In those days, they liked to pre-screen for sonar guys, I did time down-under without visiting Oz. 24+kHz.

One reason I liked CD from the start*
Nowadays I only need to carry sunglasses at all times (also at night behind a steering wheel of a car, even more so since the arrival of LED headlights), you can keep the joys of youth.

[*old news: I was one of a handful with a pre-release CD100 at home for 2 weeks, plus a pile of paperwork to fill out. Courtesy of Philips Medical Systems in Best (witnessed the 1st Phily NMR phone-booth gearing up), near Eindhoven. Also have an EE family member who was on the CDP team list at Natlab in the 70s/80s)

Last edited:
Jacco, this reminds me of the mid-90ies, when thanks to a few good friends in Philips, put down on my table a pre-release version of a PC bound DVD player-writer. I had it like 3 weekes before the bigga press event they organised in Vienna (for Central and East Europe)

I remember how enchanted I was with that moving picture - the movie was Jim Carrey's "The Mask". The movie wasn't much, but the cinematography was excellent and the sound was "Holy cow!" class. I replayed the starting scenes, with underwater photography, like 50 times at least. I generally have a sweet spot for underwater scenes, I reckon I saw each and every movie foot of Jacques Cousteau's. Today it's Luc Besson.

And, of course, strictly in Blue Ray format.

I've spent hundreds of hours looking at aerial stereograms of mountains and vulcanos at a faculty of the Amsterdam university.
Try to imagine what Avatar looked like through the eyes of a Cyberdyne TTT model (triple twit, = minus the intelligence upgrade)
Philips ran tv-ads of it's first plasma screen every day here, for years, before releasing it at $15k converted. The pre-sale demos I saw at various places were awesome.

Half a decade ago, I had my eyes optimised by laser, both identical with 100% angle accuracy.
Increases edge contrast, plus depth vision in particular in b&w mode, I have scary night vision and am likely to Terminate myself by car at night one day.
While watching tv with the g/f, hardly an occasion goes by without me feeling the urge to comment on how amazing the depth of current lcd screens is. She treats me as half a peanut, but all-bran.

One reason for not feeling an itch to pass judgement on Mr. Curl's shagging preferences, other than that it is of zero consequence for most folks.

I've spent hundreds of hours looking at aerial stereograms of mountains and vulcanos at a faculty of the Amsterdam university.
Try to imagine what Avatar looked like through the eyes of a Cyberdyne TTT model (triple twit, = minus the intelligence upgrade)
Philips ran tv-ads of it's first plasma screen every day here, for years, before releasing it at $15k converted. The pre-sale demos I saw at various places were awesome.

Half a decade ago, I had my eyes optimised by laser, both identical with 100% angle accuracy.
Increases edge contrast, plus depth vision in particular in b&w mode, I have scary night vision and am likely to Terminate myself by car at night one day.
While watching tv with the g/f, hardly an occasion goes by without me feeling the urge to comment on how amazing the depth of current lcd screens is. She treats me as half a peanut, but all-bran.

One reason for not feeling an itch to pass judgement on Mr. Curl's shagging preferences, other than that it is of zero consequence for most folks.

TV...have you seen an OLED TV yet? The colours? The black! Oooh! LG's 4K models.

For an 8kHz fundamental, most people our age can't even hear the 2nd harmonic at 16kHz - this means we can't tell the tonal difference between an 8kHz sine wave and a 8kHz square wave.
Are-you sure ? Yes, most of us cannot hear 18KHz sinus at normal power, but, cannot explain why, but i can hear the difference between a 9K sinus and a 9K square !

Status
Not open for further replies.