John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Ed the coefficient of eletro-mechanical reciprocity varies from ~0 (strain gauge) to some larger number where the point is efficient transmission of power/work. The Grado has a small metal disk weakly coupling the field of some fairly substantial neo-magnets. It's clear that if the coils were free to move and you ran current through them you might get some relay type action. The assumption of large reciprocity for any electrical motor system is a mis-conception. Lucky, I trust his computations/measurements, stated MM carts are in the tiny fractions of a percent. You can compute the work done displacing the cantilever against the suspension and the work done on the disk by 5mV, they are orders of magnitude apart.

Then think the 10Hz tone arm resonance and damping the entire system with a few mV at the coils.

Scott & George,

We really didn't communicate. Having put more than a small voltage into a MC phono cartridge it didn't really budge.

Now reciprocity calibration is used for microphones and loudspeakers. For phono cartridges if I had any old ones around I would just glue the tips of two together and see what the transfer efficiency was. Suspect it would be almost zero.

My feel is that DC voltage or resistive loading will have almost no effect.

By the way, just by curiosity, did somebody made a MM cartridge with Neodymium magnet ?

"The Audio-Technica AT150LMX Dual Moving Magnet Cartridge features a Gold evaporation tapered
cantilever and ML (micro linear) broadband VM vibrating system of stylus. This is a unit with high
power Neodymium magnet and C.C.A.W. voice coil."

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
I've gotten lucky a few times with book inscriptions. In one case I bought a copy of B. F. Skinner's notorious Verbal Behavior, from a professional bookseller. Years later I noticed it had an inscription, again on the front free end paper. It also had the owner's stamps here and there. It was from "Fred" and inscribed to Sylvia Thorpe.

At a book and autograph show I asked a rather-unhappy autograph vendor how I might go about determining if the Fred was Skinner. He said Oh I don't know---there's probably some damn society or something for him that you could contact. There was. I made a copy of the page and sent it, and received a reply from the President, Julie Skinner Vargas. "Yes, that is definitely my father's signature".

When I revealed this to a late bookseller I'd asked about it, he revealed that he knew Skinner, regardless of books in which a "B. F. Skinner" appears on some covers, signed things "Fred". If I had said it has been signed B. F. Skinner he'd have known it was a forgery.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Considering the complexity of the whole arm, cart, cantilever system vs frequency I don't see the effective mass telling the whole story.

I recall a review of a bargain turntable where a flexural resonance of the arm at ~350Hz showed up in the frequency response, the motor in that case is definitely working against a lot more than the effective mass you give. I would think the fact that you can easily hear the sound from the cartridge when playing an LP would beg the question that there is more going on.

There is only one arm I have not heard sound from and that is the Basis Vector or his super arm. A very nice arm from a very bright guy.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
What is it about audio?

The mechanical engineering sounds wonderful, I can do without "In the audio range, capacitance and inductance of a cable changes radically as the frequency changes". :rolleyes:

What is it about audio? Why does it attract those who lack the rudiments of electrical engineering?

Is it the large range of frequencies? The fact that listening requires specific amounts of time? The large potential dynamic range?

Baffling.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
What is it about audio? Why does it attract those who lack the rudiments of electrical engineering?

Is it the large range of frequencies? The fact that listening requires specific amounts of time? The large potential dynamic range?

Baffling.

Part of it is that it is relatively low level technically. Even with rudimentary knowledge (or even none at all!) you can with a bit of luck put something together that doesn't sound half bad.

It's only a small step to tell yourself you know it all.

Jan

Joined 2002
Paid Member

Baffling.

AJ happens to be an BSME but does have a physicist on staff. Turntables and tonearms are more mechanical than electrical. He trusts math and measurements. His ears ain't to bad either.

Status
Not open for further replies.