John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, what about the bloody music then, eh ... !!

The music is just fine, thank you. Currently inside a CD called "On Your 60s Radio", a compilation of then current hits and surprisingly, a really good one, both in selection and technical merits (Columbia, COL506150 2). Highly rercommended, especially for non collectors who wish a brief but high quality tour of the times. This from a man who is a ollector of just such compilations.

I think there's a big difference between people who are born tidy, and those who achieve tidiness, and those who have tidiness thrust upon them. The acid test, when presented with a tidy bench, is to look in the top drawer - the true nature of a chaotic mind lurks there. I haven't met many creative designers who were born tidy............check out the top drawer if in doubt !

Untidy prototypes and untidy benches don't necessarily correlate though. In prototype situations where tidiness matters, such as hv circuits, layout gets prioritised and at least has some mindshare. Nevertheless, the natural forces of prototyping, which eventually lead to cramming and shortcuts in layout as the circuit develops, still win out in most cases IME !

I'll side with Einstein's approach, at least I do. I saw a picture somewhere, and I thought:'That could be my office!' Books pile up everywhere, even in front of other books in the library shelf, stacks of papers, etc.
However, I can understand that some people, especially 'decision makers' might rely on the research of others to form their opinions.

I had very good results, using current source to feed audio to the recording head, instead of the usual voltage one followed by a resistance of high value.
Using magnetics as a current source for playback can give very good results IME, at least in the case of some phono cartridges. Eg a true transimpedance input stage with ultra low input impedance.

Status
Not open for further replies.