John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan, Andrew will speak his piece, I'd just like to add a bit on subsonic end of the soundstage.

Very deep bass, not necessarily actually subsonic as below 20 Hz, serves to move the music along, to give it gravitas and a kind of a fulfillment. It gives volume and substance and a feeling of some grandeur if the entire band kiskc in at some point. Consider the piece "Also Sprach Zarathustra"(1), especially the version as played by Deodato at al. (cca 1995/1996). The decisive and forceful link with the tympani does make your head raise from whatever you might be doing and helps you realize the gravity of the piece.

I don't think there are too many piecses as recorded on the LP medium which go much below 40 Hz or so, if not so, I imagine we'de bee seeing a lot of arm/cartrdge slipsliding all over the place and some people would blow their woofers.

(1) Eumir Deodato recorded an LP and the first numer on it Zarathustra. In its day, it was very popular in Europe, and I think it even made the Top Charts (but am not sure). It's the well known theme, slightley modernized in a way similar to classic jazz, with the introduction of electric guitars into the mix. I busted my behind in those days to get a copy, which I fortunately still have.

.......I'd just like to add a bit on subsonic end of the soundstage.
Very deep bass, not necessarily actually subsonic as below 20 Hz, serves to move the music along, to give it gravitas and a kind of a fulfilment. It gives volume and substance and a feeling of some grandeur if the entire band kicks in at some point.
I know the sound you mean, that's what I am after.
The right sounding LF augmentation of what I already have is what I need, and doable with speakers and amps on hand.

Consider the piece "Also Sprach Zarathustra"(1), especially the version as played by Deodato at al. (cca 1995/1996). The decisive and forceful link with the tympani does make your head raise from whatever you might be doing and helps you realize the gravity of the piece.
This one ?..Deodato - Also sprach Zarathustra

I have Also Sprach Zarathustra (Staccato 2, Nr. 12, Op. 30) on an Ultrasone Demo CD (worth downloading)...I don't know what version/recording.
Very low organ stuff like this needs ample clean LF acoustic power, and so does a lot of other music.
I don't think there are too many pieces as recorded on the LP medium which go much below 40 Hz or so, if not so, I imagine we'd be seeing a lot of arm/cartridge slip sliding all over the place and some people would blow their woofers.
Didn't somebody give spectrums that there is plenty low stuff on vinyl....maybe that means some vinyl.
(1) Eumir Deodato recorded an LP and the first number on it Zarathustra. In its day, it was very popular in Europe, and I think it even made the Top Charts (but am not sure). It's the well known theme, slightly modernized in a way similar to classic jazz, with the introduction of electric guitars into the mix. I busted my behind in those days to get a copy, which I fortunately still have.
How does digital copy compare ?.

Dan.

Last edited:
Also sprach Zarathustra is exactly the same now as when my father played
it on vinyl 30 years ago , same room shaking 32hz intro.

It seems more "grandiose" now at a higher level (digital). The first transient
is much more frightening in digital.

I've heard it on vinyl , CD , MP3 , and FLAC.
The latter steals the show,easily.:eek:

Hmmm , how did vinyl do the 1812 overture ,definite 20-30hz content
there ?

OS

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Last edited:
Grieg / Peer Gynt Suite No. 1, Op. 46: In the Hall of the Mountain King -
This one nearly hits 0db at both 27/55hz , right near my 26hz sewer pipe port tuning.

Without the sub , switching to just my stereo pair - it's GONE. sounds more
like a big tom than a kettle.

Yup , not even close (realism) , without <40hz. :(

OS

I wonder what their GD is/was??

no direct GD numbers, but very good discussion of phase compensation and EQ in tape recording from Studer. circa 1982 or so

ftp://ftp.studer.ch/Public/Products...l_Info/SwissSound_A810_Phase_Compensation.pdf

additional implementation discussion

ftp://ftp.studer.ch/Public/Products...l_Info/PI_1982-01_E_A810_New_Developments.pdf

Alan

p.s. all Studer manual, service notes and technical notes are available for free download. Also the house publication of Swiss Sound is available where they promo their work and technical advancements. At the ftp site linked to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.