John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Brad,
I generally lump those who push for 1st order network are the same people who want to use SE amplifiers and love that sort of colored sound. Allowing a 15" speaker to just rise up as high as it can with a simple 1st order filter is going to create a mess above the overlap of the above device. Simplicity is not always the best choice, generally that may be true but in speaker design that doesn't often hold true with a simple network.
Yes, I think the penchant for simplicity is overworked. I cringe a bit when showing some designs to people who have preconceived notions of what complexity supposedly sounds like, as they are immediately prejudiced against something that looks complicated. This along with misleading notions like dogs chasing their tails interferes with the evaluation.

Certainly one wants no more parts in a device than are needed. And no less than are needed.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
The "real" answer has been stated many times - be aware when a system has audible defects that can be fixed, and do what's appropriate - it's the approach that's key, not blindly applying "science and engineering" in the hope that a good result will plop out.

Just carrying on with engineering jargon can be a wank - engineering approaches to the job at hand are most certainly not.

The root cause of any audio system not reaching its full potential are small weaknesses, which can be any and everywhere. Experience, persistence, an enquiring mind are vital ingredients - not, say, reading endless books about electronics, etc.

People who understand even the basics of science do not apply it blindly. People who know enough to be dangerous do though. But to be scientific requires evidence. To be a homeopathic tuner only requires belief and wibble.

People who understand even the basics of science do not apply it blindly. People who know enough to be dangerous do though. But to be scientific requires evidence. To be a homeopathic tuner only requires belief and wibble.
Well, those who constantly chase lower and lower numbers in THD, with no real way of correlating that with what they hear, are dangerously close to doing that, IMO.

As an alternative "way", one learns how to "stress test" audio systems with recording playback, such that they throw up very obvious distortion artifacts - these bits of "wrongness" are used to diagnose weaknesses in the overall system, which are then addressed. As progress is made, less and less problems can be provoked to occur - even under severe stress from particularly "bad" recordings; when "engineered" to be fully "robust" under these conditions then any recording can be put on, and makes musical sense - you can fully relax and go with the music, all you hear is the recording and not the system ...

A good example of a diagnosis: the quality of the human voice. Pristine, "correct" recordings should at least get that right ... then you progress to more complex, heavily backed with orchestra efforts. Finally, a 100% full on, raucous pop effort with the sound powering ferociously - even in the latter, the humanity of the voice should be perfectly clear, register true - if it has an artificial, processed quality to it then more work can be done.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Well, those who constantly chase lower and lower numbers in THD, with no real way of correlating that with what they hear, are dangerously close to doing that, IMO.

As an alternative "way", one learns how to "stress test" audio systems with recording playback, such that they throw up very obvious distortion artifacts - these bits of "wrongness" are used to diagnose weaknesses in the overall system, which are then addressed.

My you contradict yourself in the same post again.

You're assuming that there is a direct correlation between THD in a particular component, and audible artifacts. IME that is not the case, I have heard only one system to date - not my own - where I could pick no audible weaknesses in the sound - yet the core of that system had no better or worse THD figures than large numbers of similar equipment ... where was my numbers metric, to tell me that?

Sorry if that was misinterpreted I'm only familiar with Dick's papers where some (unnamed horns) had poor time domain behavior.

BTW I can't stand K horns myself.
Klipschorns are not for everyone. It depends on your priorities. If tonal fidelity is a must then horn systems will tend to be problematic.

The Heyser article was done in the 1980's and was sort of a "Klipschorn re-visited" article. Heyser developed a different way of presenting phase data. The Klipschorns in that respect certainly did not graph well. Most of the problem was due to a lack of time alignment between the woofer and mid-range (can be corrected with DSP if you are not averse to that path).

There were two things I loved about the article. First was comparing the bass response via listening to a live event (sticking his head out the window) to a reproduced event (sticking the microphone out the window) played through the speakers. The second thing was the astonishment he had when listening to the Klipschorns in a adjacent room (similar to the Live In Another Room - LIAR) phenomenon.

Again, horns are not for everyone .....

you don't measure anything so you don't have a numbers metric.
I would assume that most people here have an audio system to render a recording with minimal audible distortion - or at least pretend to do so. If they are genuine about the "audible distortion" factor then they should at least attempt to be able to differentiate a system with distortion, versus one without, by just using their ears. Otherwise, there is no reason for them not to deliberately add any sort of distortion that's useful for making the sound "nicer" - since they've decided that what's actually heard it quite irrelevant.

The second thing was the astonishment he had when listening to the Klipschorns in a adjacent room (similar to the Live In Another Room - LIAR) phenomenon.

Again, horns are not for everyone .....
Yes, a system sounds "good" a foot in front of the speakers - and just as "good" from the other end of the house.

I would say, convincing sound is not for everyone ... :p.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Many years ago I joked with composer Douglas Leedy about bad vibes. We started laughing together, as almost simultaneously we imagined a defective vibraphone: clunk clunk

Doug didn't get tenure at UCLA and was probably a bit p-oed about it. The last embarrassment was his being blamed for bringing the late Salvatore Martirano to the campus for a 1969 performance of his "L.'s G. A.", a multimedia work for multiple video projectors, electronic tape, and "gas-masked politico with helium bomb". The latter role was played by Sal's sidekick and bodyguard Michael, who described himself as a "retired steelworker and poet". Both men at an apres-concert "party" wasted no time trying to engage my friend Lockie, whose much-looser sister was a popular new-music groupie at U of Illinois. You can't make this stuff up.

Clunk.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I suspect we are the 1 percenters of audio. So, bad sound IS for everyone.

The only loudspeakers I know of and have used are those made by Dynaudio. They are specifically designed to be used with 6db/oct cross-over filters to match their characteristics.... giving a 12db/oct total roll-off. And they sound excellent and are high quality construction.

THx-RNMarsh

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I suspect we are the 1 percenters of audio. So, bad sound IS for everyone.

The only loudspeakers I know of and have used which are suitable for use with simple cross-overs are those made by Dynaudio. They are specifically designed to be used with 6db/oct cross-over filters to match their characteristics.... giving a 12db/oct total roll-off. And they sound excellent and are high quality construction. Transient performance behavior is also very good.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.