John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Is there a problem with the IASA 2.4.1.2. Dynamic Range (signal to Noise)?
"The A/D converter will have a dynamic range of not less than 115dB UNweighted, ......."
??

Or is it just to the DAC side of things?

BTW-- anyone out there, besides me, use closed back headphones out in the rural areas? I cant seem to get a measure of my NC with headphones on. With a typical book value of 30dB SPL at the rural home and another 20-30dB isolation from that with headphones on. Hmmmm, maybe I could hear to 4dB level?! Its a very quiet listening environment which adds to the dynamic range of sounds I could hear.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Where did I ever say 4dB SPL was audible? Another straw man.

ANOTHER straw man? What were the others? Don't bother to even try. You won't be able to substantiate that claim either.

Don't you even remember what you've written?

You stated that human hearing had a dynamic range of 120dB, and that because of this, the dynamic range of the recording needed to be approximately 120dB in order to keep the noise from being AUDIBLE.

You didn't say this in the context of absolute hearing thresholds under ideal conditions. You said it in the context of LISTENING TO MUSIC. You know, the stuff that's on the RECORDING.

So when you say that the dynamic range of the RECORDING needs to be on the order of 120dB to keep the noise from being AUDIBLE, you are in fact saying that a noise level of 4dB SPL, or not far above it, would be audible WHILE LISTENING TO MUSIC.

This is reinforced by your continued citing of the Ampex paper, which your 118dB figure is coming from.

The only way you can keep clinging to that figure is if you're arguing that noise levels at or just above 4dB SPL are audible WHILE LISTENING TO MUSIC. It's the only logical conclusion that can be reached given the claims you have made throughout this discussion.

So the only straw man I see here is your disingenuously calling my argument a straw man.

se

Pavel
For No1 you applied a sound impulse in the room, you recorded with a mic the response of the room to this impulse and then what did you do with this recording?
For No2 did you record the electrical current (Iim)at the speaker terminals while applying an impulse voltage Vim at the driving amplifier (with gain A) input? Did you then use the Iim to alter the flat gain A? How?

George

George, I am afraid that any result-oriented debate makes absolutely no sense in this thread. Despite that,

Re1: REW5 to measure room response, equalize basic room modes, stop at some 200Hz and do not try to get higher. REW5 and rePhase will make you an inverse filter, export impulse response and then use foobar convolver to play files.
REW - Room EQ Wizard Room Acoustics Software
rePhase | SourceForge.net

Re2: better thread is here
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/250272-current-drive-loudspeakers-45.html#post4216018

You may move forward, contrary to usual neverending debates on finding and swapping opamps, silver wires, contact switches, resistor types, quantum purifiers, germanium transitors etc. Real progress.

Is there a problem with the IASA 2.4.1.2. Dynamic Range (signal to Noise)?
"The A/D converter will have a dynamic range of not less than 115dB UNweighted, ......."
??

Why do you keep saying it "UNweighted," instead of "unweighted" as it is written in the text that you're "quoting"? You've done that each time so far. What's the emphasis for? Are you trying to impress someone with it? UNweighted. Yeah, that looks impressive. Compared to what, A-weighted?

And speaking of A-weighting, why do you leave out the text that immediately follows "115dB unweighted," which is "117dB A-weighted." A difference of just 2dB.

I find this emphasized use of "UNweighted" and the exclusion of the "A-weighted" figure very strange.

se

Well Richard, I tend to agree with you and those who have ideal goals, rather than compromised ones, like jj. Ed Simon knows jj very well. They went to school together. He might be useful in this discussion.

Umm... jj would be the last person Richard would want in this discussion.

And why are you so fond of jj? He's the one who gave us MP3.

se

Sure.
I don't think anybody is suggesting that a baton/drum stick dropped on stage can be heard whilst the orchestra/PA is running at full tilt.
Provided the loud passages are clean and have ceased, the ears quickly drop out of self protection mode and revert to full sensitivity.
Very soon after the orchestra/band reverts to quiet passages, then low level sounds become perfectly audible.

Dan.

The peak SPL of a drum stick dropped on a hard surface is >>4dB

I'll be as clear as I can.... I dont care about codecs and compression and masking nor your point, se. Address it to others, who might care.

For others: Here are some things to consider for your performance goals:

View attachment 465568
THx-RNMarsh

Standard archival format .wav files, so where does the HD fit in? The desire to not further degrade any source when you archive it is admirable but this attachment is not aimed at original recordings with mikes, preamps, etc in front of the A/D.

The -115dB that keeps coming up is only the noise spec of the A/D which translates to 22.7nV/rt-Hz re a 1V full scale UNweighted, these days readily achievable. So what's the big deal? The ESS Saber A/D looks to do even the -118dB number.

Noise specs of Neumann U87 for reference.

Equivalent noise level, CCIR2) 26/23/25 dB1)
Equivalent noise level, A-weighted2) 15/12/14 dB-A1)
Signal-to-noise ratio, CCIR2) (rel. 94 dB SPL) 68/71/69 dB1)
Signal-to-noise ratio, A-weighted2) (rel. 94 dB SPL) 79/82/80 dB1)
Maximum SPL for THD 0.5%3) 117 dB (cardioid)
Maximum SPL for THD 0.5% with preattenuation3) 127 dB

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I find this emphasized use of "UNweighted" and the exclusion of the "A-weighted" figure very strange.

se

Well, if you are well versed in reading mfr spec sheets.... many are Weighted numbers for noise. So be careful when comparing to referenced IASA UNweighted requirement.

THx-RNMarsh

PS - I havent hung myself yet - Got to get some coffee first this morning.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Standard archival format .wav files, so where does the HD fit in? The desire to not further degrade any source when you archive it is admirable but this attachment is not aimed at original recordings with mikes, preamps, etc in front of the A/D.

The -115dB that keeps coming up is only the noise spec of the A/D which translates to 22.7nV/rt-Hz re a 1V full scale UNweighted, these days readily achievable. So what's the big deal? The ESS Saber A/D looks to do even the -118dB number.

The HD or now being called Hi Res fits in as downloads from lossless or WAV master files direct to the consumer. I am aware of the lower than converter only number in real apps. i pointed that out already, in fact. The example was CD of 96dB comes out closer to 90dB when you put it all together in a system. From my point of view -90 isnt quit good enough, however. So, the HiRes downloads may be better than CD and closer to what was put down on the master which should be darn near close to inaudible distortion and noise. It sure sounds good to my ears and look forward to more of it.

There is no big deal to me. I am not defending others (AES or IASA) numbers. But do point out that many if not most marketing spec sheet i see are weighted numbers and the ISAS is UNweighted number. So, is the Saber unweighted numbers?

Audible and inaudible --

View attachment Audible and Inaudible Problems with Digital Audio.pdf

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Well, if you are well versed in reading mfr spec sheets.... many are Weighted numbers for noise. So be careful when comparing to referenced IASA UNweighted requirement.

THx-RNMarsh

PS - I havent hung myself yet - Got to get some coffee first this morning.

I wouldn’t think A weighting* would be applicable to audio electronics, while flat (un-weighted) or possibly C weighting (which is closer to your ears response) would be.
*A weighting while both now popular and misused, was an industrial spec which has the low end very much rolled off and hf some and was intended for sound levels under 90dB If I remember correctly.

Could a good / modern transformer fit in your super low noise system?

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Finally, I get to point #2:

Well, noise isnt just the idle noise floor. We tend to seperate everything out as an individual number for engineering purposes. But the reality is that we hear it all together. Take the last page (11) from above as a case in point --- jitter can be also be seen as a noise. 1Khz signal with a 60psec jitter, the SNR is 128dB falling to 102dB at 20KHz. for 1.1 nesc of jitter at 20KHz we get 77dB SNR. We can add THD and IM to that noise etc etc etc. Combine it all and see if it is above audible thresholds.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Trying to follow this lively discussion let me see if I an pulling the gist of it out. What I think Richard is really alluding to is the fact that we want our electronics circuits to have a minimum of 118db range on the electronics side of things before they are converted from the D/A stage? I'm not following that we really need that much range in the acoustical realm, when we are actually listening to music. Am I getting this at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.