John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about an M derived passive filter before the buffer. Let's get serious here. ;-)

John, what do plan to do about the poor stop band attenuation the M-types reportedly (i.e. wikipedia) have. Incorporate a k-type? Or is it even an issue?

Constant k filter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

m-derived filter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was just comparing our old Pioneer TX-9100 to our Sony tuner. I gave the Sony the benefit of our outdoor antenna. The Sony did lock onto stations real good, and sounded a bit cleaner and more defined.

Where the Pioneer sounded a bit warmer and didn't pickup as many stations, but obviously the antenna is a big factor there. It's always had a slight warmth to the sound though, which can be a nice thing.

I didn't notice the grain you mention, just lack of definition in comparison to CD. Although, in comparison to the tuner you had, it could very well sound grainy. We have a pretty resolving system, and I only listened to FM stations.

John

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the link. A real story à la Connelly.

Since 1981, I've been interested by Johm Iverson because of what he said at the end of this interview (in french) :

Electro Research, interview de John Iverson (K.Renner)

Iverson speaks about "an amp configuration looking more or less like a bridge where output impedances are automatically set such as the current in one branch increases or decreases according to the state of the other branch".

I've never been able to discover more about this circuit, but I think it could be some kind of error correction.

That's John Iverson all right! Thanks for sharing. It does show his power amp and a peek at what is inside. He used an internal fan and small vent holes (as I remember) in the heat sinks as the exhaust. Good idea.
Personally, I found him very enterprising, almost dangerous, and a lot of fun to party with.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the link. A real story à la Connelly.

Since 1981, I've been interested by Johm Iverson because of what he said at the end of this interview (in french) :

Electro Research, interview de John Iverson (K.Renner)

Iverson speaks about "an amp configuration looking more or less like a bridge where output impedances are automatically set such as the current in one branch increases or decreases according to the state of the other branch".

I've never been able to discover more about this circuit, but I think it could be some kind of error correction.

Can't tell from this, scarey picture though a little like Roudolph Hess. Can't anyone post some circuits from the A-75 for some engineering discussion?

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I had one on my bench in 1975, brought over by Ed
Wodenjack of Sound Advice. I didn't get the opportunity
to dissect the front end, but I was able to confirm good
performance using parallel complementary TO-220
bipolars as followers. They were biased respectably,
but short of the 75 watt rating. According to Jon, it used
hella feedback, and that appeared to be the case.

:cool:

Back to reality. I looked at the ultrasonic spectrum of the Sony radio. I tends to upset my HP3563, unless I signal average. Needs a 3 pole Butterworth minimum.

I tried using a FM modulator hooked up to my function generator to look at the signal on my scope. Unfortunately the FM modulator is pretty noisy and so is my function generator, so I don't think I accomplished anything.

The only fairly nice piece of measurement gear I own is my scope unfortunately.

>Needs a 3 pole Butterworth minimum.

Maybe the filter outside the chassis ?
With all that digital going on inside it seems
any attempt @ quieting may be moot.

I also thought about that, and giving a separate power supply to the output section. Not sure I want to go that extreme though for this project though.

I plan on putting some shielding around the filter and analog components.

I also thought about that, and giving a separate power supply to the output section. Not sure I want to go that extreme though for this project though.

I plan on putting some shielding around the filter and analog components.

Does it have a 3 prong mains plug ?
There may be some room for experimentation
just with grounding schemes .

Status
Not open for further replies.