John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan: There's a graph showing some higher order distortion products at under -100dB with 800W flowing. Clearly a major concern. :D

The measurements descriptions indicated that the residual at lower powers was just noise. The only things the amp lacked were a logo from someone on the Team, a fanciful story, and a royalty check for John.

In fairness it looks like this whole forum refers to some kind of measurements though, the dividing line seems mostly when it becomes mystical or overkill measurements?

Like, Silver cables and electron transmission, time error, 0.00001% harmonic / intermodulation distortion, glitch error in DAC's, mechanical resonance.

I mean, it looks like most people are actually on the same page here, to me at least.

Hi-Fi stores full of hundreds of valves and Rhodium-plated AC sockets is a different story, the "we like the sound of x/y/z distortion" school.

Just sharing my viewpoint.

What is the essential difference between these two measurements? Look carefully now. '-)

Attachments

• crown.jpg
    crown.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 165
  • JC1FIG6.jpg
    JC1FIG6.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 167
It's like a snake. no it's like a wall, no it's like a tree, no it's a rope and when you pull it...

it is very easy to get very poor sound quality out of most of the older Crown Audio amplifiers. If you look at the schematic the output stage has current limit protection. As these amplifiers are capable of producing massive amounts of current they run into problems smaller amplifiers do not. Most all consumer and even pro loudspeakers used ferrite or even iron core inductors. These are fine until they saturate with high power at low frequencies. Then they behave like a short circuit. This activates the current limiters and quite simply they squeege (Burst oscillation of varying frequency.) Now if you have a system that can actually handle the power you can hear it quite distinctly. On smaller loudspeakers the actual noise doesn't stand out by itself, things just don't sound as clear. As the ear is relatively insensitive to low frequency noise such as record warp it was not obvious what was degrading the reproduction quality.

...out comes pollution.

Now who cares about distortion measurements at full power? When it is that loud the loudspeakers ain't exactly linear. Show me .1 watt!

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If you look at the schematic the output stage has current limit protection.

That I agree most probably is a major point to sound quality (or lack thereof) with real world speaker loads! And something you won't see in any of the graphs that were shown.
Didn't we agree last century that measurements say squat about sound quality? And now even JC starts comparing IMD graphs!

Confused in Belgium,

Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.