John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. Hi-end may improve, but not from their 'cutting edge R&D'- rather from basic, honest engineering by those that are sneered at by the hi-end crowd.

Jan

I was unaware of that article being sneered at. The only issue was a change in the original test circuit schematic to what ended up in the printed version.

Now what others sneer at often turn out to be interesting:

Different resistors do sound different and it is not just temperature coefficient,

Capacitors do contribute noise, increase distortion in a circuit, and have vibration issues in addition to the well know DA,

Interconnect cables actually are directional, albeit at a very low level,

And finally RF energy in a room under some conditions does decrease audio energy HF loss.

I was unaware of that article being sneered at. The only issue was a change in the original test circuit schematic to what ended up in the printed version.

Now what others sneer at often turn out to be interesting:

Different resistors do sound different and it is not just temperature coefficient,

Capacitors do contribute noise, increase distortion in a circuit, and have vibration issues in addition to the well know DA,

Interconnect cables actually are directional, albeit at a very low level,

And finally RF energy in a room under some conditions does decrease audio energy HF loss.

We don't sneer, just point out flawed and incomplete experiments. With respect to resistor sound still nothing but anecdotal nonsense. Have you ever reported anything more than "I sent some resistors to my buddies and they confirmed my measurements"?

BTW capacitors are a pure reactance and can not contribute noise unless you want to rewrite physics.

Last edited:
BTW capacitors are a pure reactance and can not contribute noise unless you want to rewrite physics.
100% reactance? - so, zero ESR at all times ... thanks, that's good to know ... ;)

Edit: Also, if some mechanism is in some fashion was, dynamically, modulating the value of capacitance while passing the signal, would that, or would that not, add "noise"?

Last edited:
100% reactance? - so, zero ESR at all times ... thanks, that's good to know ... ;)

A better way of saying it is that if the capacitor makes noise, it is not the capacitance but something else that isn't supposed to be there.

Edit: Also, if some mechanism is in some fashion was, dynamically, modulating the value of capacitance while passing the signal, would that, or would that not, add "noise"?

That would and does add harmonic distortion, in my understanding, but not pure noise.

I have a question. As far as I can understand the math, it seems that the nonlinear nature of DF means that the phase of a capacitor excluding ESL and ESR will always be close to, but not exactly 90 degrees. IE a very bad capacitor may have a phase of always 85 degrees, never reaching 90 degrees. Is this correct?

Also, I've read many dielectrics have some sort of hysterisis. Are there any measurements of the exact harmonic spectrum and distortion residual waveform?

But, from my POV we are not wasting time investigating, researching these matters - little things make a difference, and subjectively quite a big difference, and most of the time this is swept under the proverbial carpet. Nearly all of it makes rational sense if properly investigated, or thought about - there's still a few bits where I scratch my head with a quizzical finger, wondering what the causal linkages are; but they can always be got around with sensible approaches ...

The aim of the game, to me, is to be able to achieve satisfactory sound, at reasonable cost, every time - but going by most experiences, even the most recent ones, we're a long way from that ...

Last edited:
Look Scott, this thread was started and continued by 'idealists' who want to learn about the fine points of audio design. I realize that there are many critics who feel that we are wasting our time, but it is our time, not yours.
Why don't you make up some IC project and put it up against our best, which now includes Nelson and Wayne, as well as me. IF you can match us in open listening sessions, then we will take you seriously.

Scott,
There will always be those who will find some reason to question basic science. I for one don't understand how a cable passing an AC signal, which all music is, could ever be directional in nature, just doesn't make sense to me. It seems that the differences in resistor types have been explained enough times, but it doesn't seem to matter. Thanks for keeping things somewhat on the up and up when you get the chance. I just try to read around the weird stuff. \I'm just glad some of these people aren't the ones developing integrated circuits and other devices, we would still have vacuum tube computers or even punch cards!

But there is instrumentation that can differentiate
between ( say )

1) 47 k-Ohm metal film
and
2) 47 k-Ohm carbon composition

I think so ... there's some chap called Hofer, from a possibly shonky company called Audio Precision, who wrote a piece recently about how the typical resistors used in audio equipment don't behave perfectly at all times - could be BS, of course ...

Scott,
There will always be those who will find some reason to question basic science. I for one don't understand how a cable passing an AC signal, which all music is, could ever be directional in nature, just doesn't make sense to me.
Well, just stick a diode in there somewhere, with a fair bit of 'tuning' resistance to 'muffle' the effect - don't think it should be too hard ...

Guys, I am going to spend my near future MEASURING exotic differences between components. There is plenty out there to learn and absorb into making better solid state designs, for example. Tubes too! It is refreshing that just about everybody making 'successful' audio equipment is still using discrete or tubes. IC's are OK for second tier stuff, at least that is the best that I can do with them. Maybe Scott can beat me at my profession, but I seriously doubt it. Until then, let's exchange ideas about how to make better audio equipment.

Guys, I am going to spend my near future MEASURING exotic differences between components. There is plenty out there to learn and absorb into making better solid state designs, for example. Tubes too! It is refreshing that just about everybody making 'successful' audio equipment is still using discrete or tubes. IC's are OK for second tier stuff, at least that is the best that I can do with them. Maybe Scott can beat me at my profession, but I seriously doubt it. Until then, let's exchange ideas about how to make better audio equipment.

"Exotic" differences? What on earth does that even mean?

se

Status
Not open for further replies.