John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell us about your frontend Scott, i never figured you were the analog type, good to know , what Pre..?

Don't know yet for the current rebuild, but in the past something very much like Salas' pre with cascode but differential, built out of the big tophat Toshibas (unobtainium, so I hope the leads take yet another recycle). I was still using Jung super regulators and an 823/815 composite line stage that Walt's son built for me but the board is getting a little crufty after 20yr. Yep all open loop with differential RIAA's so 2X some of the caps (we had bins of hefty film caps from Frequency Devices?? that were "surplus").

The problem with those setups is that they don't show what happens to a stylus interacting with a compliant and hysteretic material.

Why not mount a chip from the leadin/out groove area of an excess LP on the end? I was shocked and pleased that I have been finding all my old goodies, like my Dennesen protactor. One particular find was the little vibrating piezo sylus cleaner that Ken mentioned, it had a RS rechargeable 9V in it and IT STILL WORKED. I mean I put that battery in there in 1983.

Last edited:
It is one hell of a tasty DIPA as well:

Howard Hoyt
CE - WXYC-FM 89.3
UNC Chapel Hill, NC
WXYC Chapel Hill, North Carolina - 89.3 FM

""Mornin’ Wood DIPA Double India Pale Ale
Earthy, Piney, and full-flavored double India pale ale. The focus is incorporating hop and malts into a balanced flavor fest""

Sheesh. Change one or two words, and it could be a cable advert.

jn

Joined 2002
Paid Member
The problem with those setups is that they don't show what happens to a stylus interacting with a compliant and hysteretic material.

only a drive point impedance measurement under realistic conditions (point=diamond tip) can show that.
The closest diy approximation to this is driving the cartridge (tip over a rotating empty groove) with a sweeping generator and reading the electrical impedance of the cartridge.
There are three issues: Cartridge mechanic part to electric part coupling (Scott’s eternal wonder),groove surface noise and great variation of vinyl formulation among record manufacturers.

Ortofon used to characterise it’s cartridges by resting the tip over a calibrated B&K piezo element, sweep exciting the piezo crystal and recording the cartridge coil output (quite controlled but less realistic).

Why would the vinyl be upset??;)

Viscoelasticity, glass transition temperature

George

Last edited:
Don't know yet for the current rebuild, but in the past something very much like Salas' pre with cascode but differential, built out of the big tophat Toshibas (unobtainium, so I hope the leads take yet another recycle). I was still using Jung super regulators and an 823/815 composite line stage that Walt's son built for me but the board is getting a little crufty after 20yr. Yep all open loop with differential RIAA's so 2X some of the caps (we had bins of hefty film caps from Frequency Devices?? that were "surplus").

Interesting mix, would luv to hear the Jung setup ... now duck ... :)

As used by the best ,Purity Audio Design's, their top preamps use bybee purifiers and buss rails internally

Attachments

• bybee1.jpg
    bybee1.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 183
""Mornin’ Wood DIPA Double India Pale Ale
Earthy, Piney, and full-flavored double India pale ale. The focus is incorporating hop and malts into a balanced flavor fest""

Sheesh. Change one or two words, and it could be a cable advert.

jn

I guess you hadn't had the questionable pleasure of reading beer reviews? Tim's description you quoted is merely flat honest, check these out to see what the more "imaginative" beer drinkers:drink::drink: say:
Russian River Pliny the Younger
That beer is indeed among the very best I have ever had, but screamin jeesum, the prose makes audiophile reviewers look unimaginative by comparison. If you look around the site you will find even more effusive prose than that!

Howie

Howard Hoyt
CE - WXYC-FM 89.3
UNC Chapel Hill, NC
WXYC Chapel Hill, North Carolina - 89.3 FM

Why not mount a chip from the leadin/out groove area of an excess LP on the end?

The forces are still different, for one because of hysteresis- the stylus on a record is hitting "fresh" vinyl, and of course the vector sum of the drag and modulation forces isn't accounted for.

Test records are very imperfect, but I think they're less imperfect than other measures. My old CBS sine wave cuts were my first clue that my vintage MC was starting to die.

As used by the best ,Purity Audio Design's, their top preamps use bybee purifiers and buss rails internally

"Silver Statement allows the 1dB increments of the volume control to be heard as popping which increases with intensity as the digital readout on the face of the unit reaches 30dB or beyond. By the time the unit has reached the 40dB range, the intensity of the popping is concerning in terms of the effect, especially upon the tweeter."

:rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.