John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gold costs money...

Sure, but how much gold is in those microscopically small wires?

...and so does that expensive microscope.

The microscope probably didn't cost any more than he's asking for one of his cartridges ($5,350 at the current exchange rate).

How about all the parts, warranty, and stuff?

All the parts? Just how many parts are there in a phono cartridge?

If we go by the fairly common retail = five times parts, I'm having a hard time seeing anything close to $1,000 worth of parts there.

se

Gold costs money, and so does that expensive microscope.QUOTE]

Copper is a better conductor though, as is silver.
Most assembly houses and production lines have an expensive microscope such as that shown these days. Most of todays production is SMD devices, very small SMD devices. Then you have AOI (automatic optical inspection) equipment and 3D X ray inspection etc etc... Modern production requires some quite impressive equipment...
Why don't you look at doing a design with some modern packages and SMD, I would be interested in what is possible with todays parts, there must be some that fit you criteria for audio circuits:)

5 times cost of materials may be fine on cables wit their very low time requirement by anyone who can solder reasonably well......The making of a MC cartridge requires a far far greater skill (= much higher labour rate per time unit). I have to admit that most cables are far too expensive and know for a fact exactly what is used as a basis for some very expensive cables......As interconnects the TOTAL material cost for a 1 metre pair is no more than £22.00 Add packaging and advertising and fat profit all around took the retail price to over £1,150.00.

Sure, but how much gold is in those microscopically small wires?
The microscope probably didn't cost any more than he's asking for one of his cartridges ($5,350 at the current exchange rate).

All the parts? Just how many parts are there in a phono cartridge?

If we go by the fairly common retail = five times parts, I'm having a hard time seeing anything close to $1,000 worth of parts there.

se

They are handmade, not machine.....

Are Vandenhul moving coil pickups out of line with the prices from the rest of this industry? Most of these cartridges I have seen in that end of the market are rather expensive, these are not moving magnet designs we are talking about here.

Yes price competitive ...

I wish more people would seperate simple rediculous margins from pure snake oil.

Handmade, all labor , what would it cost to do a custom chip, by hand ...

They are handmade, not machine.....
Handmade, all labor , what would it cost to do a custom chip, by hand ...

Not a fair comparison because it can no longer be "done by hand".

That was not my point anyway, a bespoke component can have real value the fairness is in the eye of the beholder. The health rings are another matter. In any case if you read GrooveT's exellent list of tip geometry articles you might have food for thought vis a vis the VDH "geometry".

How much would it cost to get a Chinese or Japanese artisan to copy one? The Koetsu's had a lot of happy customers.

Sy,
What is it that vdh is selling in the medical realm? I didn't see anything on the audio site so have no idea what you guys are talking about. Some magic magnets or something silly like that?

His latest "product" is something called a "health ring." He's sold other quack medical devices as well, and may still be doing so. One of them looked eerily like the infamous E-Meter.

Sy,
What is it that vdh is selling in the medical realm? I didn't see anything on the audio site so have no idea what you guys are talking about. Some magic magnets or something silly like that?
Van Den Hul - Health Ring | Product
Our Health Ring is a very innovative esoteric product, hand made by A.J. van den Hul on customer specification (*).

*: When ordering please measure and specify the ring's required circumference so that it can slide over your hand as a bracelet (with your hand slightly squeezed).

It is meant to either be worn as a wrist bracelet or to be used as a room acoustic conditioner and aids in neutralizing negative disturbances by means of its highly structured molecular composition.

Health applications
When worn as a bracelet our Health Rings improve the physical condition and reduce stress.
A.J. van den Hul mentions:
"These rings are in many cases a help to patients suffering from mainly mental problems after a whiplash. (Whiplash is the instability of the spine and neck after a car -or equivalent- accident).
Patients often react very positive on these rings. It has partly to do with mental blockades. Over the past seven years that I've worked with these rings many have been made and created many happy owners".
In health applications the ring's beneficial effect usually takes a few days to become noticeable. (Here the ring is best to be worn continuously, day and night).

Room acoustic conditioning applications
The Health Ring forms a different approach to neutralize soundstaging problems.
When applied on critical spots the rings always produce a better soundstage.
The rings are to be positioned at specific places in the room and on the equipment and the results are almost immediately audible.

More information
A paper on the use and application of this product will follow a.s.a.p.

Dan.

Attachments

• healthring.jpg
    healthring.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 219
Shyster Extraordinaire....

View attachment Advisory Retail Pricelist 2013 - 2014.pdf

Quality Solder - Made in EU
A standard Sn60/Pb40 alloy resin flux core soft solder wire type for soldering in all
electronic applications. Ø=1.5 mm. Sales unit: 1 kg spool. Price per kg: Euro 157,25
Special car cable
HQ - 1 > Halogen Free < Made in EU
Heavy duty PTFE insulated ignition cable for cars, motorcycles and outboard
motors. Can handle even an 80 kV-peak. For extra power on high RPMs and
improved durability.
Available in any specified length from 1 meter. Price p/m: Euro 99,50

Have a look at prices for other stuff.
Physics doctor or not, this bloke is taking the mickey, FCUK him IMHO.

Dan.

Last edited:
Handmade Koetsu , by the oldman? about 15K at todays prices, I have an original from the 70's , about 2K back then.

Sorry I don't follow the fashion thing, the heirs make an inferior product? They are $2k-$4k, jeez not much inflation sort of like the little Boss coffee cans in the vending machine 100 Yen for 30 years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.