John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
And it can be an extreme concern depending on the level of reliability you require....to wit, the cost of repairing a failure. Some projects, the cost of repair is roughly 10e6 dollars per day, with the minimum downtime of 7 days. Some projects, a simple solder joint failure can cost (and actually did) in excess of 150 million dollars.

And said failed critical joints would be soldered by hand and untested before installation?

I'm assuming you are talking cable assemblies here in aerospace. Don't most critical connection points uses MIL-C spec connectors?

My layman assumption would be issues with crushed pin during connector insertion vs. cold joints etc in the SR71 or whatever you're indirectly referring to.

You're aerospace right?

I have a friend that does maintenance on large commercial aircraft and he told me on a "refit" they rip the entire cabin apart and remove a lot of cable segments.

Are you trying to tell me he's soldering those wires like you guys doing your AV design work to PCBs?

hahaha

Sorry about my tone and cynicism as I'm trying real hard not to let it out.

You do realize that all of the EE I respect that do work in those industrial fields have told me 90% of high end audio stuff is BS scammer material right and within your own general field of electrical engineering many consider you audio EEs voodoo witch doctors and some full out CHARLATANS.

Now I'm not saying nor insinuating any of you are such!

But seriously...

You think BOM x 10+ is honest? (iFraud is BOM x 4+!)

And I'm being generous here...

A lot of you are guilty of BOM x 20+ for Christ's sake!

What do you think about hookups that cost more than 100 bucks a segment huh?

Honest product due to, how did you put it... "labor intensive production line" involved terminating switchcraft connectors?

Last edited:
And said failed critical joints would be soldered by hand and untested before installation?

How does one test for halides buried up inside an insulated wire?

Some solder joint relevant parametrics cannot be measured at room temperature.
I'm assuming you are talking cable assemblies here in aerospace.
No.
Don't most critical connection points uses MIL-C spec connectors?
No. Printed circuit components, wires to through holes on a board, etc.
My layman assumption would be issues with crushed pin during connector insertion vs. cold joints etc in the SR71 or whatever you're indirectly referring to.
No, we have been discussing solder.
You're aerospace right?
No. I have in the past designed and made aerospace components for the military, and fluxes/soldering back then is basically the same as it is today.
Are you trying to tell me he's soldering those wires like you guys doing your AV design work to PCBs?
What we are trying to tell you is, you need to back down and act reasonably. There's several hundred man years* of excellence perusing and posting on this site, providing extremely good information for people like you.

jn

*ps...and that's only jc...;)

A resistor wrapped in shrink wrap, with some quantum BS for flavour:D

Are these guys for real or is this some kinda sophisticated ruse?

Hey I'm not some dumbass Dentist with more money than brains guys you need to huckster your wares onto!

LOL

A lot of you have been selling BS for so many years you're having trouble telling the BS from reality IMHO!

Somebody has got to produce a documentary about this industry and you characters!

Sorry about my tone and cynicism as I'm trying real hard not to let it out.

Try harder, as you are failing.
You think BOM x 10+ is honest? (iFraud is BOM x 4+!)

And I'm being generous here...

A lot of you are guilty of BOM x 20+ for Christ's sake!

What do you think about hookups that cost more than 100 bucks a segment huh?

Honest product due to, how did you put it... "labor intensive production line" involved terminating switchcraft connectors?
It's obvious you've overextended your knowledge reach here. Ask a business owner what his loaded labor rates are.

jn

That is not true, marce. Prove it! SY never even took one apart.

Why should he have to take one apart to prove anything?

The burden of proof is on the one making the claim and the claimant has yet to offer any logical SCIENTIFIC reason backing his claims thus we have no logical reason to take them serious or even consider them at face value.

Also the validity of a claim doesn't hinge on the claimant prior knowledge, experience or status as "expert".

A claim stands and is judged on it's own merits.

I read that "white paper" on Bybee's site and it's a steaming pile of ____.

Last edited:
Edge affect..... if you design pcb for very fast rise time data signals and/or high freqs, the edge affect on Z and delay of those lines have to be taken into account. With the best practices in SW pcb design this is included for Z and timing control. You might look at those pcb sources for more info on the edge affect and how to over come it.

Secrets of extreamist high-end audio -- On my pcb, where there are high currents at HF, I leave the edge of the trace/plane unmasked so that the trace is thicker at the edges after solder flow/reflow. You can also selectively plate the trace edges for thicker/lower HF resistance. [I have done several tests along these lines using HP Z analyzer and found other ways to normalize the Z and thus maintan constant low Z and low group delay over wider range of freqs than just stock pcb wire/paths..... other pcb and other situations]

Thx-RNMarsh

Rather late, this thread moves on rather fast sometimes, but do you have any info on this please. generally when there is a ground plane you get ground effect, where current density is greatest at the bottom of the trace just above the ground plane. The current density would only be concentrated at the edge of the trace for edge coupled signals, such as diff pairs where the return current is running in the adjacent trace.

HiroPro, getting back to the bi-amping question you raised a few pages ago. One explanation for the subjective improvement that some people report in multi-amp systems is reduction in IMD in the power amps. Martin Colloms mentions this as the first of the advantages in the first ed. of his "High Performance Loudspeakers" (1978) A full range system of modest spec's, say 30Hz to 15kHz would have a ratio of frequencies that is 500:1. Now appropriate X-overs on a sub' and three way satellites can bring that down to around 5:1. That's two orders of magnitute....
That might be a clue,
Cheers,
Jonathan

Try harder, as you are failing.

It's obvious you've overextended your knowledge reach here. Ask a business owner what his loaded labor rates are.

jn

Most of it is made offshore now and labour isn't even a consideration when you guys are paying by the piece to the OEM production house!

Oh wait... You're concerned about ATI's labour costs? Do they not quote a production run based on unit count to come up with a cost per unit?

Yeah I'm sure labour is built into that but it sure as hell isn't on your books is it less R&D.

HiroPro, you sure do make a lot of blanket statements and assumptions. Have you ever manufactured anything, I would assume not. You only seem to be directing your rant at the high end audiophile market which you would find if you stopped posting and started reading for a while most of the people here would agree on. At the same time I think you need to look at the exorbitant costs to market into that market and the low volumes of produced products and what it costs to both operate a business and turn a profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.