John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
And how is the linkage RF?
As to the second statement, a battery is a power source, no more, so unless the digital and analogue is galvonicly isolated they are still connected.
Having experienced - and able to replicate at will the behaviour - the sensitivity of my audio equipment SQ to items like mobile, cell phones, I think it's more the case of someone proving to me that there can't be RF linkage ...

Yes, the D/A area is critically sensitive, and it would probably be extremely difficult to design a circuit with true galvanic separation here; however, even relatively standard DACs will perform well, IME, if enough tweaking is applied ...

I don't know how much digital/analogue design you are involved in but I do think the coupling is a bit over exaggerated and the noise levels, for well designed equipment it isn't such a bad problem as I think some see, and here I am talking phase array radar (50 channel ADC), medical equipment, military gear. But the point is well designed analogue/digital designs, a lot of audio isn't either due to cost for commercial or fashion for DIY
The coupling exists, somewhere - otherwise the audible problems wouldn't arise. At the recent hifi show a room that had very good SQ, changed to a different digital source to the same DAC - the SQ degraded significantly, developed the classic symptoms of "digititus". Handwaving that it can't be so doesn't change the fact that ears could hear it ...

attributing the same sort of prehistoric organic response to recognising faces, recognising babies crying etc to recognising electronic and environmental mechanisms you seem to not even understand, innately; is a big stretch.
Huuuh?? I'm recognising, reacting to sound that's occurring in a listening environment - what's electronic mechanisms got to do with that?

qusp,
Just give it up with Frank already it just encourages him, and then John comes in and does the same. The fact that I could write a computer code here in Cali, on my computer, send it to you over how many copper wires through any number of fiber optic cables, have it converted back to a copper wire connection and you can receive a perfect bit for bit copy down under and use that on your computer means nothing to Frank. Somewhere between you and me he just intuitively knows that some insidious RF has been added between the bits and is just lurking in the background waiting to escape.

Frank I'll give you that there is nothing perfect in the analog world but there is a point of diminishing returns where some things are below our ability to discern them. We do not have a hidden latent ability to hear at the level of a bat, we did not develop our hearing to this level, we had other ways to integrate our hearing and sight and touch that did not necessitate that level of detection. Perhaps you are that missing link and have become that genetic outlier that has through convergence developed extraordinary powers!

I give it to Frank that he hasn't mentioned a single example in all this time, not a single detail, on how he does his holistic system thing.
In a way, that's quite remarkable.

By ear. You couldn't possibly understand.

The key, for those of us with the wisdom to appreciate these gems, is the interaction of air currents from handwaving, hot air from pontificating, and the vacuum created by lack of data with the sound waves coming from YouTube videos played through his laptop. Mud interconnects enhance the experience. This is far more profound than the mundane tasks of actually designing, building, and testing of hifi equipment.

I give it to Frank that he hasn't mentioned a single example in all this time, not a single detail, on how he does his holistic system thing.
In a way, that's quite remarkable.
It's even more remarkable how I've mentioned over and over again the sort of things I focus on worrying about improving, and it seems to whistle straight through the apparently somewhat common empty spaces between the ears, of some of the people on the forum ...

Okay. Last system fiddle was the cheap TV thing, I described exactly what I did so anyone could copy the procedure, and invited interested parties to try it, and report back. Didn't get a single response, guess that must have been my fault too ...

Implication is that there is a mighty impressive lot of engineering and scientist talent here, who already know the outcome to a simple experiment, without in fact trying it ...

Frank,
I have done a PCB with a SMPS and the audio circuitry that fitted in the ear shell, there was no interference that was audible from the SMPS.

Having experienced - and able to replicate at will the behaviour - the sensitivity of my audio equipment SQ to items like mobile, cell phones, I think it's more the case of someone proving to me that there can't be RF linkage ...
This I would suggest is down to your gear, your modifications and your shielding.
Do you connect your cable shield at both ends of the cable at the point of entry to your equipment? or do you follow the audiofool fallacy of only connecting one end of the shield, and/or use pigtails from the shield to some system star point?

Do you connect your cable shield at both ends of the cable at the point of entry to your equipment? or do you follow the audiofool fallacy of only connecting one end of the shield, and/or use pigtails from the shield to some system star point?
I have only worked with audio gear as available in retail form, which have plenty of openings allowing for RFI infiltration. Unless I approached the whole exercise virtually like a military operation, I wouldn't have faith of achieving sufficient immunity - the concept of having all interconnections running through full blown metal conduits, so that effectively there is a unified chassis around everything appeals to me ...

A disturbing exercise was placing a mobile phone inside a closed microwave oven, and ringing it. Yes, it answered - so how tiny should the gaps be to really be sure ...?

Implication is that there is a mighty impressive lot of engineering and scientist talent here, who already know the outcome to a simple experiment, without in fact trying it ...

Hear Hear, exactly the reason I am (still) here, and highly grateful to them for sharing their mind, knowledge and expertise.

I do listen, do read, and do assume to understand what it is I read. In case I do not, I just ask, politely.
Doesn't imply that I have to agree all the time, often it's just a mental exercise.
For example, when some talk about annealing & tensile strength, I could write about the relative thickness of the aluminum layer and the location of the neutral plane in the 1.25mm thick disc. And a couple here, just love the smell of thermoplastics in the morning.

Nèèh, boring.
More of interest is the dialogue, and a glance through another's eye perspective.
By coincidence, one of the most vital things I've thoroughly been trained for.

Last edited:
A disturbing exercise was placing a mobile phone inside a closed microwave oven, and ringing it. Yes, it answered - so how tiny should the gaps be to really be sure ...?
Nah, not a problem. The seal gap along the edge of the door is a 1/4 wavelength long waveguide/stripline. It appears like a short circuit within the oven because the other end of the waveguide is terminated by an open circuit. So it is designed with a specific frequency in mind.

Cellphones are not the same frequency.

Here's a little detail..

Note the paragraph labeled Quarter-wave stubs, first two sentences.

Starting with an open circuit, one quarter wavelength away you will "see" a short circuit. Starting from a short circuit, one quarter wave away you have an open circuit.

Quarter-wave Tricks - Microwave Encyclopedia - Microwaves101.com

jn

Originally Posted by simon7000
No I mean the chip used for analog to digital conversion first did a 9 bit conversion and then treated the remainder to a 7 bit conversion. This was done so the zero crossing would not be the splitting point. The distortion would be dependent on the actual 9 bit converter's LSB accuracy and the follow on conversion. All that was guaranteed was 9 bits of linearity. Typical specs are a different issue. Do look up Stockhams papers on the A/D design.

From the premier AES Digital Audio Conference 1982 I quote from Barry Blesser in the keynote paper. He is discussing the residual expansion A to D, "An error of +- 1 LSB in the 8 bits can be tolerated with no final error". The problem with these is that they need very good stability and drift in the analog residual amplifier chain they are not inherently only 8 bit integral linearity. His example was 8 bit first then the residual at 9 bits.

EDIT - BTW I noticed that by 1982 the absolute necessity of dither was underscored by many.

Last edited:

The original master would be the one that captured the first transition from real time to stored information. There can easily be several stages after that before the CD master is made. Except for some audiophile labels, the original master will be reprocessed, including everything from editing (analog) to digitizing and editing, equalizing, level tweaking, limiting and a host of other stuff. For commercial production there is a system called protools where music goes to die for this. Some premium work is done using everything from Audacity to Pyramix to SoundBlade. All of these can be transparent and all have numerous effects that often are far from transparent. At the far end of this intermediate process of "Mixing" is Mastering where the final eq and audio sweetening is done. And sample rate conversion if the original content was processed at a higher sample rate (bit depth as well).

Indeed, it is the process of 'mastering'. More often than not, the mastering degrades the sound.

So, if you want to compare a CD to ITS master you need to get the actual file used to make the CD. Anything else will be very misleading. Its true that some shops will mess up the transfer of the master to the glass master (incompetence can be found anywhere) usually they get it right and there are no detectable differences between the cd and the file used to make it.

Indeed.

Like I said ---> From listening to the original master recording to the play back of the CD --- it sounds soooo different. Obviously a lot of post-processing often goes into that original 'master' recording. Usually, compression is used with its attendant affects and distortion. Even on audiophile recordings., a little compression is sometimes used.... just cant help themselves. If there was one item in the post processing to beat one over the head with until a bloody pulp, it would be compression.

One thing is that most CDs masterings degrade the sound a lot.

Another thing is that not all CD players and/or DACs are created equal. Only few sound good enough to me.

On top of that, possibly, many CDs aren't manufactured to a 'good enough' standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.