John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorry, good music replay has got nothing to do with being "nice" for me -- it should grab you by the short and curlies, and say, "Listen to me, sonny Jim!" ... :)

I said nothing about "being nice". I'm looking for an experience which is as close as I can get to the experience of listening to live music. (I listen mostly to classical music).

Nope I trust my self and know my abilities, that's why I like to confirm things with measurements.

Do you confirm the experience of listening to music by measurements? How do measurements confirm your experience? How do measurements confirm if the music is moving you, or not? How do you measure the degree to which the music is engaging and moving you?

I don't understand what you mean here. Can you define your terms? They're very ambiguous.

What isn't clear to you?
Mechanism?
Enjoying listening to music?

You wrote: "The eye/brain connection is likewise hugely inaccurate …", my question is whether you have another mechanism by which you enjoy listening to music? Or is the same "hugely inaccurate" mechanism serves you to enjoy listening to music?

If an inaccurate mechanism serves you to enjoy listening to live music, why do you look for another mechanism for enjoying reproduced music?

Could you please detail exactly what your setup was and what you did?

Amplifier driven at 60 Hz output 2 V RMS into an 8 ohm 225 W resistor in series with a fuse holder. Isolation transformer across the fuse holder into my AP.

Different fuses give different distortion. Turning fuses over in the holder changes the distortion.

Different manufacturers fuses behave a bit differently. For the most dramatic results pick fuses with uneven solder blobs at each end.

To me this is another example of how with precision you can measure differences in just about anything.

ES

Very good Steve! I think part of the trick comes from the fact that the A and B are in opposite colors, but it is not the only thing of course.
Good illustration.

The colors of the letters don't really have anything to do with it to speak of. I've attached the same image but with no letters. I've also attached another version of it which includes a cylinder. In that example, the letters are the same color.

At our last AES NL section meeting we had organised a presentation about audible illusions, hilarious what you can people make believe by just manipulating sound! The one I liked most was the headphone listening to alternating tones, hearing the high tones at the left ear and the low notes at the right ear. Now the clincher: if you swap your headphone around, you STILL hear the high notes left and low notes right! And to add insult to injury: if you are left-handed, you most probably would hear the whole thing just the other way around!

Cool! Not familiar with that one. Another good one is Shepard tones. And to show how our visual system can override our aural system, the McGurk effect is pretty cool too.

se

jan[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• graysquares2.jpg
    graysquares2.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 151
  • checkershadow_illusion4med.jpg
    checkershadow_illusion4med.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 150
This is the moment Joshua enters the room, for an official declaration that he's a totally balanced person, when it's about music.

(Did you know that folks with good linguistical skills know that 1% stands for one percent, one per cent, one per hundred. But it need not imply, that they know what 1% means in a practical sense. Characteristic of high EQ folks with a disharmonious IQ)

Last edited:
Maybe some clarification why those Bedini and green pens are such extraordinary claims.

Music on the CD is represented as digital data encoded by the bumps; short ones represent a '1', long ones are a '0'. The data is read by the laser, and converted to a digital data stream.

That's how a lot of people think of it (i.e. that the pits and lands are effectively a direct representation of the digital audio data), particularly those who come up with various CD "tweaks," but that's not really true.

The pits and lands represent the eight-to-fourteen modulation (EFM) that the audio data is put through first (forgetting NRZI for the moment). The 16 bit words are broken up into two 8 bit blocks. Then those 8 bit blocks are translated into 14 bit blocks, and those blocks are chosen so that 1's are separated by a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 10 0's.

This requires a lookup table. So when the receiver gets the 14 bit block, it goes to the lookup table and sees what 8 bit block that 14 bit block corresponds to. Then it takes the two 8 bit blocks and puts them back together to make a 16 bit word.

And of course as you say there's a lot of other overhead going on as well. But just wanted to illustrate better that the notion of the pits and lands on the CD having any direct relationship to the actual audio data is pure fantasy.

se

This is the moment Joshua enters the room, for an official declaration that he's a totally balanced person, when it's about music.

No, I'm not a balanced person, not in any area of life.
The same unbalanced me who enjoys listening to live music is seeking, when listening to reproduced music, an experience as close as possible to the experience of listening to live music.

Status
Not open for further replies.