John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's tried 3 different cables, presumably with different connectors- I can't remember the names, it's all sort of meaningless to me. They all work fine with his previous amp. I followed half of John's recommendation and told him to try to exchange it for something like a Pass. I guessed that when he spends multiple kilobucks, Nelson wouldn't sneer at him, dismiss his purchase as "mid fi," and would actually deliver a quality product.

He's tried 3 different cables, presumably with different connectors- I can't remember the names, it's all sort of meaningless to me. They all work fine with his previous amp. I followed half of John's recommendation and told him to try to exchange it for something like a Pass. I guessed that when he spends multiple kilobucks, Nelson wouldn't sneer at him, dismiss his purchase as "mid fi," and would actually deliver a quality product.

And it looks like you're screwed as far as replacing it as it's a PC mount jack and I doubt it would have the same footprint as a Neutrik.

se

At this point, I wouldn't bother. John thinks that his customers are somehow beneath him and that's not the kind of business attitude I support. If I said something like that to a customer, I'd be fired no matter how much my boss liked me- and I'd deserve it.

Yeah. But if that were the case at least now you know who you could send your resume to. :D

se

How about a strain relief, plastic wire tie around each cable and one of those big handles? How are these getting loose? In a set-up and tear-down professional use or home? Certainly surprising for XLRs.

Even non-latching ones. Must be something in the design of the female contacts that's wanting to keep spitting them out like that. And I assume this is just a home setup.

se

How are these getting loose? In a set-up and tear-down professional use or home? Certainly surprising for XLRs.

Home use and yes, surprising. The choice of lousy XLR jacks without the usual latches prevents the cables from being locked in, one of the great advantages of XLRs. The weight of the cables, along with the vibration from music playing, causes them to start coming out spontaneously.

But I suppose when you only pay $2500 for an amp, you can't expect quality, attention to detail, or concern for the customer.:rolleyes:

Home use and yes, surprising. The choice of lousy XLR jacks without the usual latches prevents the cables from being locked in, one of the great advantages of XLRs. The weight of the cables, along with the vibration from music playing, causes them to start coming out spontaneously.

They should have used the Neutrik AA series XLR's. The reason the connectors on the Parasound don't have a hard locking latch on them is because then it's a real pain in the *** to work them into a PC mount solution.

Neutrik makes jacks in the AA series that don't have the hard locking latches, so they can be easily implemented in a PC mount solution but do have a spring retention mechanism so you can pretty much have your cake and eat it too.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

se

Huh, as if I can do anything about the connector. I tried and failed. Please leave me be, and give Parasound trouble, if you chose to. I have only visited Parasound a few times in all the 20 years+ that I have worked as a consultant for them. You cannot 'shame' me into independent action, when I did not cause the problem.
Once, years ago, on another website, a customer complained of a legitimate problem with a Parasound 3 ch amp. I really felt sorry for the guy, and when the company did not respond fast enough, I sent him my personal 3 channel amp of the same design. What did he do? He sold it on e-bay. Never again. If you have problems, and I cannot help directly, please go through channels. Hasn't anybody heard of GAFFERS TAPE?

SY,

Would you, please, give John a break. He doesn't manufacture the dammned things, he designs them!!!

<rant mode on>
I am surprised about the amount of criticism and scrutiny that every single product designed by JC undergoes here. Whats wrong with you people? Are you jealous or what? Show us YOUR medals, if you're so good, would you?

In comparision to many, John has made it. "Hats off" is all I can say.
<rant mode off>

Best

Hasn't anybody heard of GAFFERS TAPE?

Yeah, that's what a purchaser of a multikilobuck amp should expect to do.

You know, it's fine to say, "Sorry, that wasn't my choice, and there's really nothing I can do." Denigrating the product and sneering at your customer, suggesting that he not buy your products anymore, that's... unbelievable.

Status
Not open for further replies.