John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
My gut tells me Frank's lower figure is closer :eek: Inductance is a function of the enclosed loop area - we can't get an accurate estimate from just knowing the length of wire.

Yes, although Ed Simon said he had to fix a lot of his mistakes, Whitlock had electricians pull out hot and neutral from conduit and twist them together, to reduce the differential fields induced in the safety ground. I suspect that would have quite an effect on our inductance "estimates".

My gut tells me Frank's lower figure is closer :eek: Inductance is a function of the enclosed loop area - we can't get an accurate estimate from just knowing the length of wire.

2 wires in a loop give us a common mode choke, right?

Edit: Anyway, even for the biggest number of 150 microhenry inductive impedance would be no more than 20 Ohm on 20 kHz frequency. For 17 microhenry even less, I suppose?

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Just to further mix this up I grabbed a 50' extension cable and measured it (shorted at the far end) at 100 Hz, 1KHz and 100 KHz and for all three I got 3.5 uH.

Remember a wire in space has no inductance. Its only in a circuit that it has inductance. And the closer the two conductors are the lower the inductance.

Just to further mix this up I grabbed a 50' extension cable and measured it (shorted at the far end) at 100 Hz, 1KHz and 100 KHz and for all three I got 3.5 uH.

Remember a wire in space has no inductance. Its only in a circuit that it has inductance. And the closer the two conductors are the lower the inductance.

The average home has a constantly changing "circuit" especially when compressors kick in, etc.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
The average home has a constantly changing "circuit" especially when compressors kick in, etc.

Yeah I have to say that the notion that the Tice Clock was effective because of some impedance applied across the mains is a bit of a stretch. And didn't they couch their claims of efficacy in the garb of various outlandish purported mechanisms, associated with cryogenic treatments and such? Guess I should do a little research. OK: here:

Tice R-4 TPT & Coherence ElectroTec EP-C "Clocks" Letters about the Tice Clock | Stereophile.com

"Regarding your comments on extra circuitry, no extra circuits have been added to the Clock. The Clock is only a carrier of the TPT technology. I realize this is a difficult concept for some people to grasp: the Clock has been treated with the TPT process. This is very much the same idea as cryogenically treating components. Those components are not visually modified or altered, but the treatment changes them on a molecular level."

Me? I just go measure it - unloaded and loaded.
But I wouldnt measure the line characteristics with a motor or compressor running on the same line my audio/video was on. ??

Typical high power appliances bridge both phases of a 220 service entrance, all the circuits go back to the box so they all in some sense are on the same line at least a little (i.e. they are not galvanically isolated). The problems often cited in the literature concerning home networking refer to things like central air which by code are always on their own circuit and seperate breaker.

Tice R-4 TPT & Coherence ElectroTec EP-C "Clocks" Letters about the Tice Clock | Stereophile.com

"Regarding your comments on extra circuitry, no extra circuits have been added to the Clock. The Clock is only a carrier of the TPT technology. I realize this is a difficult concept for some people to grasp: the Clock has been treated with the TPT process. This is very much the same idea as cryogenically treating components. Those components are not visually modified or altered, but the treatment changes them on a molecular level."

Magnificent, everyone should read the whole exchange.

4) Your hearing ability is not as refined as that of other music lovers and audiophiles.

"Electrons normally travel through a conductor in a somewhat random and chaotic manner. Even under the influence of a current-generating electric potential, they can scarcely avoid collisions with the conductor's (and various impurities') atoms. Tice claims that TPT "programs" the electrons to flow in a more direct path. This is said to reduce so-called "electron noise," a type of noise which Tice says they have recently discovered, and to dramatically improve the sound of a system where TPT is employed. This electron noise is said not to be related to other forms of power-line noise. "

Hook'em, book'em, and cook'em.

These guys should be in jail.

Last edited:
bcarso, I personally spoke to Tice at some length, and I got the SAME input. The clock was just a carrier. Later, he just had a box of copper wire, or something like that. The 'process' was probably something like very high magnetic field 'charge' on the residual metal. Heck, the wall plug could have been the major contributor. '-)
I honestly do not know whether he was 'fooling' us or not.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Yeah I have to say that the notion that the Tice Clock was effective because of some impedance applied across the mains is a bit of a stretch. And didn't they couch their claims of efficacy in the garb of various outlandish purported mechanisms, associated with cryogenic treatments and such? Guess I should do a little research. OK: here:

"
yes, they did make such claims - re cryogenic treatments. I dont think they had any idea what the clock and similar small appliances did on the ac line. I didnt believe their explanation then or now.
The Z test I did was done using an HP phase/gain/Z instrument. It was not told to Tice people and I never told anyone but one other person until now... just to illustrate the idea I am promoting here -- listening and corellated tests and measurments. Not that I had any interest in the Clock then or now. This is all another tangent. Thx - RNM

Status
Not open for further replies.