John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
100 ohms is a default value normally used as a design reference for cartridge designers. In fact, in my latest phono preamp design, it is the selected value for the vast majority of MC cartridges. However, 47K is an alternate load value that many MC designers often adjust their cartridge for. Any other value is really 'accidental' or just a product in the design compromises in the cartridge design in order to optimize some other quality, tracking for example. In these examples, external loading often is more obvious in measurements, as internal damping is often removed to improve other measurements. Still, it is not a great difference, and sometimes not really worth the compromise in S/N and absolute output. However, for the vast majority of MC cartridges, with a relatively flat frequency response, inherently, there is little change in output with a large change in cartridge loading.
Now where does this leave us? It would seem that Syn08 has put in an elaborate loading scheme in order to please the manufacturer's recommendations, virtually exclusively. Even if others might find a value slightly different from the manufacturer's spec. (which is often arbitrary and vague as well) to sound best. Often, this happens over a relatively limited range of loading resistance, for example 50-150 ohms for example. It depends on the cartridge. Over the years, optimum loading resistance appears to have gone up in value, leaving 50 ohms behind, 100 ohms as a nominal optimum, and higher values from 150 ohms all the way up to 47K ohms as a good choice for many MC designs.
This is where the PhD's and the golden ears differ. The 'golden ears' just listen, and if they have the ability to change the loading, they will find one, in almost every case. It might be 68 ohms with one cartridge, and 150 ohms in another, and even 47K for some. It will be relatively obvious when you have the 'optimum' loading and yet the measured change will often be minimal. This is what separates the subjective from the 'objective'. The 'objective' designers will put in variable loading, just in case, without regard to its actual value as a listening optimizer, unless the particular cartridge, they are using, is unusually sensitive to it, and they note this at some point in the design of their phono reproduce stage.

Last edited:
100 ohms is a default value normally used as a design reference for cartridge designers. In fact, in my latest phono preamp design, it is the selected value for the vast majority of MC cartridges. However, 47K is an alternate load value that many MC designers often adjust their cartridge for. Any other value is really 'accidental' or just a product in the design compromises in the cartridge design in order to optimize some other quality, tracking for example. In these examples, external loading often is more obvious in measurements, as internal damping is often removed to improve other measurements. Still, it is not a great difference, and sometimes not really worth the compromise in S/N and absolute output. However, for the vast majority of MC cartridges, with a relatively flat frequency response, inherently, there is little change in output with a large change in cartridge loading.
Now where does this leave us? It would seem that Syn08 has put in an elaborate loading scheme in order to please the manufacturer's recommendations, virtually exclusively. Even if others might find a value slightly different from the manufacturer's spec. (which is often arbitrary and vague as well) to sound best. Often, this happens over a relatively limited range of loading resistance, for example 50-150 ohms for example. It depends on the cartridge. Over the years, optimum loading resistance appears to have gone up in value, leaving 50 ohms behind, 100 ohms as a nominal optimum, and higher values from 150 ohms all the way up to 47K ohms as a good choice for many MC designs.
This is where the PhD's and the golden ears differ. The 'golden ears' just listen, and if they have the ability to change the loading, they will find one, in almost every case. It might be 68 ohms with one cartridge, and 150 ohms in another, and even 47K for some. It will be relatively obvious when you have the 'optimum' loading and yet the measured change will often be minimal. This is what separates the subjective from the 'objective'. The 'objective' designers will put in variable loading, just in case, without regard to its actual value as a listening optimizer, unless the particular cartridge, is unusually sensitive to it, and they note this at some point in the design of their phono reproduce stage.

Almost 100% agreed. If it takes only few extra resistors and caps to potentially make a large percentage of the GEB population happy, by allowing them to tune the input impedance to their perfection, then I'm 100% in. This is usually called "flexibility". Of course, there will always be a nonzero percentage of unhappy GEB members, because the wiring is teflon, and not unbleached cotton, insulated.

BTW, don't forget that the DIP switches I am using are not 1-of-n. You can parallel the resistors and caps to a wealth of input impedance combinations.

BTW, the Pass XONO uses the same variable input loading approach, using the same kind of DIP switches.

Now to address important aspects of test records. The 'standard' square wave test record in my day, was the 'CBS STR 112 Test Recdording' made decades ago. Virtually all square wave tests that I have seen published, are based on this record. However, this record was apparently made long ago, when disc cutter resonances were limited and undamped (in order to meet some sort of high frequency output spec. apparently) so they cut (recorded) the record at half speed, in order to get the bandwidth up. This left a distinct ringing at about 40KHz on the square wave.
This did not easily show up on the vast majority of phono cartridges of the day, because they were essentially 4 pole roll-off filters at just about 20KHz, so the extra ringing would not show up on the scope. As MC cartridges became more popular, in later years, this ringing appears much more pronounced and makes the interpretation of what you see, difficult without an experienced eye, as you have 2 separate high Q resonances contributing to the output. SY has shown how you can separate the two resonances from each other by changing the turntable speed.

Last edited:
Yes, Syn08, you have made progress. We ONLY used a 10 position switch array in the JC-80 phono stage back in 1983. We used just resistors, however, we had a default input cap of 100pf at the input of the preamp.

I though you are supporting the idea of NOT having a variable input impedance.

Otherwise, of course, it was done 40 years ago :) BTW, did I claim anything?

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
If I would say yes, the next reply would be "so there are audible differences that you were unable to measure" which is obviously a logical fallacy.

I don't see the logical fallacy, this happens in reality a lot, in other fields too. It's not a big deal not being able to measure something, why not accept it when it happens? Look at how many years they were trying to measure what makes a Stradivarius sound as it sounds. Very obvious audible differences between two violins, yet very difficult to measure what gave one that special sound.

Anyway, you'd be better asking such questions Joshua_G, Curly or anybody else in the team you seem to enjoy. They'll be happy to provide an answer, and you'll get the warm feeling of belonging to a skilled community of designers, endorsed by personalities in the audio industry.

Not that it matters, but I have no allegiance as far as audio philosophy goes; that warm fuzzy feeling I get when I see integrity, fairness, kindness, generosity. Whether they are great designers or not is not important to me.

I have already spent to many electrons here, so a few more won't harm. As a participant to a public forum, you should know that nobody owns you anything here, not even an answer.

True, you don't owe me any answers, nor does anybody else. If at all, I think you owe it to yourself. Hundreds of people read this forum, for many years to come. Unfortunately, the sum of your answers is syn08 for them.

syn08, I actually appreciate your technical input (my case of beer offer stands). The way you deliver it is a another story. Absolutely nothing gives anyone the right to put other people down. The same goes for other people too. Just because it's popular it doesn't mean it's right. Perhaps you don't mean it, but you do it quite a lot. That I don't appreciate. :)

I don't see the logical fallacy, this happens in reality a lot, in other fields too. It's not a big deal not being able to measure something, why not accept it when it happens?

Case in study was the impact of the resistive loading on the cartridge frequency response. After calibrating the levels @1KHz, measurements are showing nothing outside the experimental errors.

Assuming there would be a difference in the subjective perception between, say, loading with 100ohm and 500ohm, then there are two options:

a) the measurements are wrong - end of discussion.
b) the subjective differences are due to another cause - end of discussion, it's outside the scope of the experiment.

Otherwise, if you think there's a possibility to hear a frequency response change that is buried in 0.1 dB noise, then this is (to me) a logical fallacy. Like it or not, I do not address such. Other may, though, therefore my recommendation to go elsewhere.

Thanks for the beer, I already had my six pack quota for the year of 2009.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Assuming there would be a difference in the subjective perception between, say, loading with 100ohm and 500ohm, then there are two options:

b) the subjective differences are due to another cause - end of discussion, it's outside the scope of the experiment.

Otherwise, if you think there's a possibility to hear a frequency response change that is buried in 0.1 dB noise, then this is (to me) a logical fallacy. Like it or not, I do not address such. Other may, though, therefore my recommendation to go elsewhere.

Since people don't listen to the cartridge itself, let's put the preamp in the chain too. Then there's the possibility that the preamp responds differently to various cartridge loading which would account for people being able to hear the difference.

So, I may not hear the difference burried in 0.1dB noise, but the preamp may very well filter inadvertently the noise. The other possibility is that the brain filters out some of the noise, but that I know nothing about.

Since people don't listen to the cartridge itself, let's put the preamp in the chain too. Then there's the possibility that the preamp responds differently to various cartridge loading which would account for people being able to hear the difference.

So, I may not hear the difference burried in 0.1dB noise, but the preamp may very well filter inadvertently the noise. The other possibility is that the brain filters out some of the noise, but that I know nothing about.

Sure, you may also consider the power amp, the speakers, the outside weather and the phase of the moon.

Hi Joshua,
Sometimes there are some correlation between how an amp is measured and how it sounds, but most of the time there isn't such a correlation, at least not a direct and obvious one.

This is going to depend a great deal as to the resources one can bring to bear on the test. As I recall, you had said that for most, if not all of your career, you had to get by with minimal equipment and supplies. Your ability to measure would therefore be considerably limited compared to most good audio service centers I have seen. That makes your comment true and accurate for your situation.

This isn’t accurate, I referred to limited budget on recording gear, not measuring equipment. Anyhow, what measurements, by themselves, do you think will be able to tell the sound quality of any amp?

Certainly, more well equipped technicians would have the ability to "see more". Moreover, some people can look at a schematic, see the construction and have a pretty good idea what an amp may sound like. Not every time, but certainly noticeable and better than guessing.

Without actual examples, this is meaningless.

One thing is that the human ear (actually, the ear-brain-mind mechanism) usually doesn't notice harmonic distortion of 0.5% or less in the second harmonic and 0.2% or less in the third harmonic, while it is more sensitive to the higher harmonics and extremely sensitive to the 7th harmonic.

That really depends on signals, coupled with the transducers used and how quiet the listening area is. Like everything, there is a fair range on these numbers.

Those numbers refer to best case listening environment.

While it is very true that the higher harmonics do seem to be picked up more easily than low order harmonics, singling out the 7th might be too optimistic. Yeah, I know John likes to look at this number, but you can't isolate one harmonic. You must look at all of them. You'll generally find that the absolute level of the 7th harmonic is related to all of them in the series. They all vary as each other in the higher harmonics. Looking at several spectrum "pictures", it can be seen that the 7th may be of a higher amplitude than it's neighbors, but you also have to look at the actually frequencies of these harmonics. For instance, if someone can hear to about 16 KHz, the 7th harmonic is only important to about 2.3 KHz for that person. For a claimed normal of 20 KHz in a younger child / teenager, you can move that up to about 2,860 Hz. The ability to hear problems diminishes rapidly after that, especially since these harmonics are very low in level.

Zeroing in on one specific factor (like the 7th harmonic) posses a very real risk of missing the more important measurements. You need to look at the entire picture in order to come to a valid answer. Note: John, I am in no way "attacking" your interest in the 7th harmonic. I am specifically answering Joshua's post. I am more than certain you know what and how to measure audio equipment.

The 7th harmonics is unique, for it doesn't appear in nature. No natural musical instrument or sound producing device has 7th harmonics. Experience and experiments show that the human ear finds 7th harmonic extremely objectionable.

Also, scientific experiments show that the human ear is sensitive to distortion in frequencies far above 20 KHz, though not to fundamentals.

So, when one amp measures 0.8% THD and another one measures 0.001% THD, by those numbers alone it's impossible to tell which one of them will sound better.

Well, of course! Those numbers in isolation have reduced relevance. I will bet that the amp measuring 80 X less THD has had some care in it's design.

Not at all. Lower THD figures are easily achieved with NFB and GNFB. When large amount of NFB is applied without proper consideration of the appropriate Slew Rate, measurements of THD will be excellent, while the sound will be bad.

That's assuming you don't do something silly like compare a tube amp to a solid state amp on THD specs alone. Now that is a pretty meaningless exercise if you ask me! :D

Since when measurements affects tube amps differently than SS ones?

Another thing is that the measurements which are probably most correlated to the way an amp sounds, that is, TIM and its derivates, are seldom taken and almost never published.

Two reasons for that. You will only see things published that the marketing guys want you to see. Also, as you multiply the specs you want to publish, you become responsible for more acceptance testing in production. Plus, you also force all your service depots to both buy more test equipment (and more expensive types) and spend more time testing to verify service which will all be passed on to the end user. Always remember that the end user pays for everything - including losses. If they don't, the business in question is out of business.

The bottom line is that the measurements most relevant to sound quality are never published. Hence, it's impossible to tell the sound quality of an amp by its' published measurements alone.

All in all, there is no way to tell how any amp sounds by looking at its' published measurements alone. So, only listening tests can tell how any amp, or any other piece of audio gear, sounds.

Well, again it depends on the technology used in the amplifier, and what specifications you are looking at. However, some specs can give you an idea on sound quality, along with the brand name (that's part of the spec too). Specifications are not useless and are most often used to determine if the product is in fact operating within normal specifications. So these are highly beneficial to the end user in supporting any claims that the equipment is substandard. Most defects will affect the measured performance.

I don’t agree about published specifications being able to tell the sound quality of an amp. Please give examples to demonstrate your claim.

The impressions of various individuals of the same audio gear and their evaluations of it are varying to enormous degree. For some a certain audio set sounds great, while to others it sounds mediocre, or bad. If it weren’t like this, all would buy the same amps, speakers and other pieces of audio gear.

Exactly my point. How much has to do with the effects of advertising, brand expectations and price point? Add to this, possible interactions with the loudspeakers? Often, any amplifier that can drive the silliest speaker loads are well regarded, and for no other reason than that. Ohm speakers and several others come to mind that have very low impedances at some frequencies at least. Infinity produced some evil designs that became popular for this reason alone.

There are wrong assumptions on your part. When I (and some others I know) compare pieces of audio gear, be it amps, or cables, or anything, we do it with double blind tests, so that brand and price are unknown as long as the test goes on.

As for integration, you are right. However, it's my experience that certain loudspeakers and certain amps sound much better than others in any audio setup.

In such cases, I have to rely upon testimonies, or reports of others. Now comes a major question for me: which testimonies or report should I note and which ones should I ignore? As a rule, I don't read reports of audio magazines, whether published, or on-line, for I'm suspicious of possible commercial interests. So I'm left with testimonies and reports of fellow audiophiles. However, there is still the question: which testimonies or report should I note and which ones should I ignore? This question is so much relevant in the light of the enormous differences in appreciations of the same gear. From experience I know that my friends who hear differences between different well engineered cables and me have very similar appreciations of audio gear, while others who don't hear such differences between cables have markedly different appreciations.

Self fulfilling prophesy now. :)
In truth, you should listen to all well designed, well made equipment in your price range. For example, Nelson Pass has designed commercially successful equipment that are different in the most fundamental ways. To do anything else is simply to restrict your choices, but then that is your problem.

It’s impossible for me to listen to all well made equipment, in any price range. Some brands aren't being imported to my country. Other brands that are being imported, the local dealers don't have gear to demonstrate, they import only what's ordered and paid for in advance.

I'm absolutely convinced that a designer should have refined listening in order to design and produce great sounding audio gear.

All he needs are good people on staff to listen. The designer could be deaf for all I care. It's a non-issue. Believe me when I say that if his stuff doesn't sound good, it doesn't sell. Change or die.

That's not applicable to those designers who maintain that only measurements are relevant, while "refined listening" or "golden ears" are only marketing snakes oil.

As for MC phone cartridges, many times their recommended load is published.

That whole idea is really odd coming from you. Start at the recommended loading and experiment from there. If you can't determine what the best load is, put it to the published "happy spot".
Did I say anywhere I follow blindly the manufacturer's recommended load?

Case in study was the impact of the resistive loading on the cartridge frequency response. After calibrating the levels @1KHz, measurements are showing nothing outside the experimental errors.

If b) is correct and there are subjective audible differences that as for today we don't know how to measure, why stick with measurements alone, without supplementing it with listening tests?

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
I'm going to dismiss the weather and phase of moon snide remark. You already assumed audible differences:

Assuming there would be a difference in the subjective perception...

If your assumption is correct and you can hear the differences in loading (and that is what I asked you initially, but you chose to dodge the answer using logical intricacies) they must come from somewhere, even if you can't measure them. Either from the cartridge, or somewhere else down the chain. Otherwise you've heard things just like the rest of them delusional audiophiles :)

If your assumption is correct and you can hear the differences in loading (and that is what I asked you initially, but you chose to dodge the answer using logical intricacies) they must come from somewhere, even if you can't measure them. Either from the cartridge, or somewhere else down the chain. Otherwise you've heard things just like the rest of them delusional audiophiles :)

I made absolutely no assumptions about any audible effects of cartridge resistive loading. You are perfectly free to design and perform another better test that would reveal and explain the subjective testing results. If it makes sense (nobody can afford to test any possible permutation of factors, moon phase included) you may even get some support in your endeavour.

Or you may chose to happily live ever after, without results and explanations, like so many other contributors here.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
[snip]Not at all. Lower THD figures are easily achieved with NFB and GNFB. When large amount of NFB is applied without proper consideration of the appropriate Slew Rate, measurements of THD will be excellent, while the sound will be bad.

This is not normally true, Joshua. Assuming that you mean that the amp has insufficient slewrate, that would surely show up in THD measurements, especially done at higher frequencies. That is one reason why Bob Cordell for instance advocates THD-20 measurements. I agree that 1kHz measurements have much less chance to turn up the effects of insufficient slew rate, but a designer who is aware of these issues would use measurements that would show it.

One example of 'looking at the schematic and know how an amp sounds' is this. You can often see from the circuit diagram whether the slewrate is sufficient or not (not always, but sometimes), so that would be a good indication that that amp wouldn't sound like the best ones out there.

jd

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.