John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jfets are OK. They are NOT as good as tubes, part for part, in linearity. They can be quieter, and they are complementary, so they can be made to be excellent gain stages. Break-in is, to me, a physics problem, that I must acknowledge, to be difficult to 'prove' but easy enough to hear. Break-in for me, is important, but in the total connection and wire sense. I recommend it.

Well Ed Simon, you have made it very clear why we have to take care as to what feedback resistor we use.
Just to remind everybody, I have been 'harping' about differences in resistors for more than a decade, especially with the feedback resistor, as it is the 'template' that the amp tries to model itself on. Usually to much 'laughter' as well. Well, now it should be clear, VERY clear. '-)

First thing I did when screwing about with amplifiers..is look at the theoretical aspects..then I headed right for the feedback criticals. coupling, PS, and that dang resistor (all concerning the feedback loop).

i started by swapping the resistor out, turning it around, different types, brands, models, solders, each time, a full and proper burn-in in. Skinning the resistors (naked), different mounting, wearing out the leads, via stressing, every thing I could think of. plating the leads, unplating the leads, different field conditions, demagnetizing, etc. It took nearly a year to really get a solid handle on the overall aspects of each and all of those considerations, but since it was the most critical spot in the amp, it ended up explaining much - about all else. This was in the early 90's. I had a couple of basic amp models I used, specifically ones with high feedback, so the effects were multiplied and they (the amps) also had a low number of parallel outputs, so I could actually hear those micro differentials.

Last edited:
See Chapter 13 in my book "Designing Audio Power Amplifiers", specifically pp. 264, 265. There I show a plot of measured distortion of a 1/4-W metal film resistor as a function of frequency when it is dissipating its rated 1/4-W of power due to the AC flowing through it. This measurement largely captures only the thermal-related distortion. I think this resistor had a rated TC of about 100 ppm/C.

I was first introduced to the importance of thermal resistor distortion around 1982 when I designed my MOSFET power amplifier with error correction. I was getting higher distortion than I should have at low frequencies. When I put two 2-Watt metal film resistors in series to form the feedback resistor the LF distortion went way down. This was only a 50-watt amplifier, but the feedback network impedances were fairly low (the feedback resistor was only 4.3k).

Cheers,
Bob

It's a trade off between lowered issues of a transient nature vs inductive interference (flubbery inconstant braking) in the field differentials created by the inability of the resistors to be exactly the same under all complex (simultaneously occurring) conditions. My experience, anyway. (I tried parallel and series, physically close and separate, multiple orientations of field coupling interference)

Is the advantage in thermal (overall and related issues) better than the cumulative effect of the rest? Only the specific result in the specific experiment will tell. Too many variables. My ears said you were right, in most ways or the more 'noticeable' considerations.

Last edited:
Interesting insight on capacitors. Experimentally, I usually see less distortion when there is a dc voltage across a cap. Most obvious with electrolytics but also with film caps. I figured that the dc bias would reduce the effective change across the cap from the AC signal.

Conceptually the same might be true for resistors. Especially for thermal issues. If the resistor has a bias and heat already the effects of the ac would be smaller. I know higher power resistors are more likely to be lower distortion. What is the time constant of the Tc of a resistor? How to measure it?

Maybe this is all naive misunderstanding of the issues?

Do you see it now, JC?

:p ;)

Jfets are OK. They are NOT as good as tubes, part for part, in linearity. They can be quieter, and they are complementary, so they can be made to be excellent gain stages.

One main aspect for tubes is their their thermal stability (minor shift in the operating points). Disadvantage is their (more) limited lifetime and that you need filament supply.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
In solid state devices, there are big shifts in the device paramters with the signal voltage. There is a discussion on some of this stuff over on Edmond's thread. A classic example is Cob in a VAS transistor, or the input capacitance on mosfets and JFET's. Designers need to be aware of this stuff, because often it frigs with overall stability.

Now, you overlay the thermal impact on device parameters and its clear nothing is really nailed down. Circuits just flop around, hopefully not banging into any serious limitations. Maybe tubes sound good because they run hot (thermally stabilized?) and the paramters don't shift that much with signal - but I am not a tube expert . . . ;-)

Conceptually the same might be true for resistors. Especially for thermal issues. If the resistor has a bias and heat already the effects of the ac would be smaller. I know higher power resistors are more likely to be lower distortion. What is the time constant of the Tc of a resistor? How to measure it?

For linear TC the second 1/10th Watt heats the resistor just as much as the first (the first order model is a thermal resistance). Pre bias over ambient probably just creates more problems with termination thermo-couples, certainly won't help distortion. Heat is actually a diffusion process and has a distributed time constant. A sudden step excitation in a good bridge setup should allow you to extract the thermal curve.

This stuff has been trade secrets for folks making 18bit + modular A/D's and DAC's for decades.

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
For linear TC the second 1/10th Watt heats the resistor just as much as the first (the first order model is a thermal resistance). Pre bias over ambient probably just creates more problems with termination thermo-couples, certainly won't help distortion. Heat is actually a diffusion process and has a distributed time constant. A sudden step excitation in a good bridge setup should allow you to extract the thermal curve.

This stuff has been trade secrets for folks making 18bit + modular A/D's and DAC's for decades.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I continue to read everywhere that running warmer is somehow entailing lower effects due to self-heating shifts and ambient shifts.

But intuition fails us here. Unless the tempco itself is a strong negative function of absolute temperature, running warmer does nothing for you (and as you point out, invites issues from thermocouple effects if the junctions are not at equal temps).

Brad

Ed, you keep pointing that stuff out like nobody ever heard of it before. I once scavanged a discrete DAC made for the missile program in the 60's. It used 2W 1% resistors for an 8 bit R2R ladder.

Even when we agree, we don't! I pick on 16 bits as that is perfect audio reproduction forever as CD's often mention. :)

What that means is that audio equipment that uses carbon comp. resistors as an absolute reference (As in a heavy feedback circuit) will be limited to performance less than the digital processes.

Of course the original CD's were only 9 bits linear so even older equipment was often better than that.

So the observation that less feedback sounds better may well be true for those folks who still use carbon comp. resistors. (Yes there are designs where carbon comp. are spec'd to give an amplifier it's "Voicing.")

Now when folks really have to design to meet performance spec.s sometimes many hours are spent figuring out where something went wrong. So that DA module probably got built the way it was because the designers either knew what it would take to maintain 8 bits over the entire environmental range required or it failed at first and they figured out what didn't work.

Now as you know those designs were done with hard well defined performance requirements and real calibrated and traceable measurement results.

To my way of thinking the difference between an Engineer and a Technician is that a Technician given a well defined problem can take the tools at hand and build a product. An Engineer can take a fuzzy specification, refine it until there is a firm definition and then can design or assign the design for the required product.

Now we look at audio reproduction. A fuzzy goal or even a very, very, very fuzzy goal. What is the bandwidth required? 15 -15,000, 20-20,000 and 3.16-192,000 all have been used at some time. What absolute dynamic range? There are places that actually are - 9 dba! Should we be able to reproduce to 120 or even 150 db? Lets not even get into distortion. THD is often quoted as if it is the best method, but there is lots to show it may not be valid past first order estimation.

So duh, they made metal film and wirewound resistors way back because they knew they needed them. All the way back to Wheatstone and Heaviside using strain gauges to design bridges!

Now if some folks here designed bridges:

Wavey would make them big and huge and out of concrete.

SY would use glass!

J.C. would build a beautiful aluminum web and bankrupt us all.

You would use a suspension bridge as that is the classic approach.

T would use stones!

I'd still be testing the foundations.

ES

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I continue to read everywhere that running warmer is somehow entailing lower effects due to self-heating shifts and ambient shifts.

But intuition fails us here. Unless the tempco itself is a strong negative function of absolute temperature, running warmer does nothing for you (and as you point out, invites issues from thermocouple effects if the junctions are not at equal temps).

Brad

Running warmer does give you more even order harmonic distortion. Test show that. Now there are certainly folks who like more even order harmonics, but with a low quality resistor you might be able to note the change. Al changes that anyone does always sound best to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.