John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
My interpretation of my experiences and reading of psychology of memory, consciousness, psychoacoustics is that these “audio epiphanies” are rare, random, fortuitous alignments of recording technique, reproduction chain (with near total dominance of loudspeaker and room) and our detailed and transient mental state at that exact time of the “wow” listening experience
I don’t believe any magic pre/amp electronic circuit can give these “realistic” experiences with any reliability
Even trying to repeat the experience with the exact same system, recording may fail due to our changed physical, mental state, expectation of the experience from memory, even the changed “focus” of attention to our trying to hear it “the same”

the notion that feedback resistor non-linearity does anything audible to an amp output is a nice story, but not more.

would post 21597 suggest otherwise?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/anal...rch-preamplifier-part-ii-432.html#post2957712

And yet still I have no offers to write for The Big Bang Theory.

Go figure....

i'd figure that your 'location'

might be causing some degree of apprehension.

no doubt you're aware of the most common

'entertainment industry product'

made in,

'the valley'.

disclamer -

j/k

Last time I looked, the requirement for a Fourier representation was that the waveform contains nothing worse than a finite number of finite discontinuities.

Any practical application of Fourier representation has definite limited accuracy. Ask persons who developed simulation software to specify accuracy of these tools at definite model cases, and they will find that answering this question is much more difficult than producing the software itself.
Sources of inaccuracies come from both non-periodicity of limited audio waveforms, and from limited accuracy of any numerical calculations.
I would not be sure that all tiny audio artefacts are not hidden by simulation inaccuracies.

Extended and Arbitrary Precision Arithmetics are available to anyone today. No big deal to extend your favorite C-compiler with a library that can handle, say, "quad doubles", as an example good enough to do one zillion cycles of FFT and IFFT back and forth, on 24-bit audio data with no loss of precision.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
My interpretation of my experiences and reading of psychology of memory, consciousness, psychoacoustics is that these “audio epiphanies” are rare, random, fortuitous alignments of recording technique, reproduction chain (with near total dominance of loudspeaker and room) and our detailed and transient mental state at that exact time of the “wow” listening experience
I don’t believe any magic pre/amp electronic circuit can give these “realistic” experiences with any reliability
Even trying to repeat the experience with the exact same system, recording may fail due to our changed physical, mental state, expectation of the experience from memory, even the changed “focus” of attention to our trying to hear it “the same”

Mr. jcx

You are spoiling the party.
You see, there is a market tile to be fueled and a magical mystery to be retained, the High Priest * of the coven communicating on his discretion the ingredients to the good-willed ritual participants .
Consecrated ceremonial accessories, athames and kerfans are in order.

* “The High Priest serves at the pleasure of the High Priestess

George

SY has warned of the kind of game and the capabilities of the performer a long time ago.

Nevertheless, a resistor placed in this position of that particular circuit should be made out of nothing else but "Zro" to it’s ninth stage.
Specifications of this material have not yet been released, but there is anecdotal evidence that it induces directionality effects.

Enjoy

George

Ah the wisdom of the Beast...

1. As basis, a mass of useless disconnected facts.
2. A superstructure of lies.

Vlad, I think you are on to something important. Near ZERO tempco may be attained with compromises in resistor construction that compromises the audio quality in some way. Any ideas?

The TC is usually related to the control over the exact composition. 40yr ago we had a wizard who formulated the thin film targets and could predict the TC to several ppm.

There are two issues that are currently not well understood. One is the influence of noise and the other is the response to waveforms that are not accurately modeled by Fourier series.

ES

Could you provide an audio related example of the later? Influence of noise on what?

You should use a fast IR camera to map the temperature of a resistor at 1kHz excitation, you will probably find much less 1kHz component than you think. What's not so good about the Vishay, -170dB ninth??, you will have to work harder to convince me that is not an artifact.

Last edited:
Vlad, I think you are on to something important. Near ZERO tempco may be attained with compromises in resistor construction that compromises the audio quality in some way. Any ideas?

I would suggest to think over the fact, that all of us tend to use super pure copper or silver wires at assembling of an amp. If impurities matter, one could imply that they act in a fuzzy manner.
So, why should not we care which materials a resistor consists of ? What are it's vibro-electric properties ? What are it's own self-resonant frequencies?
During measurements of big size resistors, I observed some strange fluctuations of the impedance modulus over the frequencies range.
Such kind of resistor properties will be especially important at NFB divider position, since reaction of GNFB must be as fast and precise as it is theoretically possible.

Last edited:
You should use a fast IR camera to map the temperature of a resistor at 1kHz excitation
Much more interesting to do this with 1000+1001Hz excitation, and change the difference frequency. Remember that it is element temperature which matters, not case or core temp. Remember, we are looking for something which does not show up in conventional harmonic (or IM?) measurements yet appears to damage music. Close-spaced IM would fit the bill.

I have been accused of being a 'guru' for decades. I am supposed to be able to effect, either positively or negatively, individuals both relatively close or far away, as to the 'sound quality' of one of my designs. Yet, I cannot control which way they are going to decide. If only I could control their polarity.
Now, a real 'guru' is Ram Dass, I've seen him in action. Of course, you would not believe me about that, either.
I am now 70 years old, and how long do I have left? Should I close my input and 'laugh' at the failure of many others to be as 'successful' as I have been? Perhaps.

Last edited:
Hi,

I would imagine physical construction (lead lengths, how the spiral is cut, inter lead capacitance and so forth) dominate over the effects being considered here.

Well, the bottom line is that resistors introduce distortion that is measurable and may have effects that are are audible and not measurable.

To take a "completely imaginary" example.

We take a resistor with magnetic parts and on the PCB we have nearby a trace carrying high signal currents (of course this would never happen). Maybe the feedback resistor... Now change the resistor to a non-magnetic one...

There are many effects here that when combined with slightly careless layout can be significant...

Ciao T

Well, the bottom line is that resistors introduce distortion that is measurable and may have effects that are are audible and not measurable.

To take a "completely imaginary" example.

We take a resistor with magnetic parts and on the PCB we have nearby a trace carrying high signal currents (of course this would never happen). Maybe the feedback resistor... Now change the resistor to a non-magnetic one...

But that would be completely measurable if the nearby currents are inducing an unwanted signal into the resistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.