JLH 300 Series hiss

I've just posted the articles on a separate thread 'JLH 30 watt amplifier articles'
It was a lucky find, and included a JLH tuner and cassette deck too. The tuner seems fine (I haven't yet tested it with a good aerial) and I tidied up the display with a clear perspex screen. The cassette deck may not be finished (although there was a cassette in it) and I think I will probably pass them both on as I won't use the tuner and already have a cassette deck for archiving.

That’s a gorgeous amp! Very pretty, outside and inside too.

My two cents . Hiss you hear is because preamplifier , tone control ,is connected to power amplifier , and opamp noise , whatever low or high it would be , is always amplified by power amplifier. If you wanna , can try to move volume control potentiometer to power amplifier input. Thus you will reduce hiss at same proportion with signal level. At max volume position, you will have same hiss as you have now. Also current volume control design explains why hiss didn't change while adjusting volume or shorting inputs.
Just wanted to affirm your comments—- good observations. It would be interesting to know how much attenuation the volume control is introducing when positioned for a typical loud listening session.

But I think funkuncut is right in wishing to preserve construction with minimal messy changes.

Best,

Steve

Some years ago , I've found schematic , related to speaker impedance, kinda like negative output impedance for amplfier ,or current mode, can't remember now. There was a low (0,22 maybe) ohms shunt , some resistors , capacitors ,and fast opamp.Kinda of bridge ,combining positive and negative feedbacks. That was article ,published in one of popular radio magazine. Circuit's output was connected to amplifier input , so volume control must be no longer connected to amplifier itself.
So identically like in this amplifier, all opamp noise was audible always , independent of volume control position. I have heard a hiss , white noise , clearly ,and not only in silence. And offcourse i was disappointed and undone changes. Imagine , if that circuit would oscillate, you can easily blow speakers, and volume control won't help . In my opinion, silence must be present when you listen not loud . Hiss is thing from tape times. But everything is choice of user ,modify, improve something, or keep it conservated like just purchased and still in warranty.

I recall building the cassette deck cheaply (well I worked at PYE TV then... ), great sound, modded it to adjustable bias with a built in oscillator for calibration, and with coloured single LED vu meters, but the cassette mechanism was a bit clunky. Gave it away! Back in the day we were blessed with DIY design and construction availability.

JLH Tuner 01.jpeg
JLH Tuner 02.jpeg
JLH Tuner 03.jpeg
JLH Tuner 04.jpeg
JLH Cassette 01.jpeg
JLH Cassette 02.jpeg

I hope this isn't getting too far off topic. I'm going to listen to the amp a lot more before doing anything else to it - I think it wasn't designed for the level of input from cd, so it's actually quieter with MM input. I've tried it with a Shure M75 and a Goldring G800 (which always seems to have low output anyway) so far and it sounds really good, just not as pokey as with cd, but that is to be expected. The important thing is that it is now quiet (and I'm using it for reggae, jazz and rock anyhow...)

Here you go....
JLH Cassette 1.jpeg
JLH Cassette 2.jpeg
JLH Cassette 3.jpeg
JLH Cassette 4.jpeg
JLH Cassette 5.jpeg
JLH Cassette 6.jpeg
JLH Cassette 7.jpeg
JLH Cassette 8.jpeg
JLH Cassette 9.jpeg

I'm happy to post you the paper copies if you pm me your address, and if you (or anyone else for that matter) would like the series 2 cassette deck, you're welcome to collect it from London or I can send it for postage cost. I haven't had it working, and I don't need another project at the moment, but it would be great to have it used and preserved.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I built one of the casette decks some (many) years back and it was decent. Great electronics let down by an average mechanism and lack of Dolby or other noise reduction.

Tape head alignment was crucial and all the mechanisms needed it before you got the best from them. Also, the motor often needed to be turned on the mount to minimize noise pickup through the tape head.

Those things aside, the Hart kit was quality, easy to assemble and worth the not inconsiderable cost at the time.

Certainly the amp, tuner and series 2 cassette I have all seem to be high quality electronics - the hardware such as faceplates, knobs etc. has a slightly British made-by-men-in-brown-coats-in-a-draughty-shed feel as opposed to Japanese made-by-robots-in-a-shiny-laboratory feel, but that is part of the charm too.