JL audio subs are cutting out, amp is still on. What is going on?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
New to the forums! but I have two 12 inch Jl audio W1v2 hooked up to a 2000 watt Elevation Audio Amplifier. Randomly or sometimes especially if the volume is high the subs bass will stop working and just thump. I just bought a 2 farad capacitor thinkin it could help but it still does it... Can anybody help me out, it could be problems with the amp but I am clueless right now!

Start with the basics.

Check all connections at the amp, the box, and inside the box.

Make sure there are no intermittent connections between the output terminals of the amp and the input terminals of the speakers.

Make sure power and ground connections are solid, nothing intermittent.

Use a multimeter and check and confirm your voltage is not dropping below 11 vdc at the amp terminals.

A thumping can sometimes indicate an RCA issue such as bad RCA cords or broken shield ground pins on the board. Try a different set of RCA cords if you dont find any other issues.

You can also multimeter your subs to make sure they are still ok on the coils, check what ohms they read.

This should get you started.

I pulled out my cd player and it turns out my rca cables were getting pinched. it is now working fine and hasnt cut out since i did that. the amp is a elevation audio 2000.1 it was an old amp my boss had layin around in the garage and only one side of the speaker connections work. Im not 100 percent positive but I believe it is wired at the right impedance but any tips would be greatly appreciated! I'm pretty sure its at 700 watts between the 2 subs.

here is a link for the owners manual
http://elevationaudio.com/new/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/QuoteILD.pdf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.