Jim Winey

Back in the early ninety's I was looking for work, preferably something better than the mind-numbing factory jobs I'd been working up until then, and stumbled upon an add for a design engineer at Magnepan...so I took a chance (not having any credentials or professional experience in the field) and answered the add. I got a chance to sit and talk to Mr. Winey for about an hour. He talked about his company and his goals, and the reason I was there...he was looking for a way to get the low frequencies from a subwoofer to integrate with his panels more seamlessly, and was hoping to find the right individual for the task. It wasn't me...obviously. Mr. Winey was a very gracious host that day, and seemed like the kind of guy one could sit and talk for hours and literally lose track of the time.
R.I.P. James Winey

Mike

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2010
Paid Member
"...His idea of the ultimate test was to go to a concert at Orchestra Hall in Minneapolis and then return home to try to reproduce the sound of the live performance – a goal he would say has never been achieved by anyone..."

Absolutely agree, although I got to say my 1.7s Maggies, and before that the 12 (which I still have) come the closest. An absolute PITA in the living room but when the music starts all the complains about the Towers Of Powers in the middle of the room disappear.

Good guy, Winey, he was. RIP. I'd like to think that part of him lives in many of our living rooms.

Reactions: 1 user