Jim Holtz: Travelers vs The Finalists vs Statement Monitor

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Of course you could change a driver and adjust the crossover yourself. Changing a tweeter may be simpler, changing a woofer may involve a larger part of the crossover. In any case, when the configuration is conventional it blurs the line whether you'd then treat it as own design.

Since several of the drivers are NLA for both the Statements Monitors and Finalists, The Travelers are the answer.

The travelers have better/deeper bass than the Monitors and the midrange clarity/depth/detail is the best of them all. The OWII's have been and still are an exceptional tweeter with a smooth and detailed presentation.

I named them the Travelers since they were small enough to be portable yet offer "big" sound quality. My wife and I travel to warmer places during the winter so I assembled a portable system which included smaller speakers. However, my wife pressured me into building yet smaller speakers so Curt and I came up with a design that is smaller but still sounds big with the clarity and detail that are important to me for musical enjoyment. I'm still finishing the cabinets and plan on presenting them at Dakota DIY in early June. The design will then be available on Curt's website.

Hope that helps!

Jim