Jfet BOZ

Attachments

• EQ.jpg
    EQ.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,150
Cello's is the first and only EQ I think of whenever someone brings up tone controls in high end. Never heard it myself, but it received a great review.

It got some remarkable reviews in German audio mags, too. At first the reviewers were quite prejudiced and suspicious about the tone controls, but quickly got excited about the preamp qualities of that device. Nevertheless they also played with the controls. Just in "homeopathic doses" of course. :rolleyes:
I heard that device later on Berlin Funkausstellung. It was part of the Guiness World Record "Most expensive HiFi system" (including Wilson X1 Grand Slamm (first version), Mark Levinson amps, Transrotor Quintessence and so on). German Hifi journalists Joachim Pfeiffer and Marius Dittert made a wonderful job there. It was a great pleasure to talk to them. But that was nothing compared to the system's performance. It was just outstanding! :)

For EQ aficionados, some schematics/manuals of decent discrete equalizers are free-ware.

For example a couple of Klein&Hummel models, the UE1000 JFET/BJT version.
Or the tubey UE100 (= $12.5K Fairman TMEQ role model => http://www.fairman.dk/gfx/tmeq-116.jpg ).

(so please no more emails or PM's for schematics)

Beautiful picture!!! Looks very expensive.

My attempt at the simpler BoZ

BoZ cct. brd.completed.

See imges below. Once again I used the Russian 0.1uf PIO, and 10uf poly (input cap and output cap respectively) (snubbed with 0.1uf ploy). All on vero-brd. spare central tracks shorted to ground to act as a gatherer. Alps blue velvet 25k pot and slim solid brass knob.

PS: 1R0 to 10,000uf cap, 10R0 to second 10,000uf cap. 5% WBT silver solder used. This will go into a Hammond anodised Al case.

OK it's off thread but strangely related. See my B1 image (last image, now finished and very enjoyable). See B1 thread for more info.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/124889-b1-buffer-preamp-268.html

Attachments

• BoZ_IIss.jpg
    BoZ_IIss.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 1,252
  • BoZss.jpg
    BoZss.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 1,213
  • PassFETPreampIIss.jpg
    PassFETPreampIIss.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 1,175
Once more the Hammond anodised Al cases. This one shorter than the B1. I upgraded the knob to a 4oz solid brass job. BUT down graded the rear RCAs. Still gold plated but no need to insulate from the case. Switch at the front is a mini on/off, switch on the rear selects between the two sets of inputs. Volts feed is meant to be 35V. Currently I'm running it on 34V of lithium batteries until I can get the hum out of one DC supply.

On an early listen bass may be weightier and just as extended as the B1.

I'm yet to get a decent listen but the day is comming.

Attachments

• BoZFinisSS.jpg
    BoZFinisSS.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 284
  • BoZRearSS.jpg
    BoZRearSS.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 247
My attempt at the simpler BoZ

BoZ cct. brd.completed.

OK it's off thread but strangely related. See my B1 image (last image, now finished and very enjoyable). See B1 thread for more info.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/124889-b1-buffer-preamp-268.html

Sorry. Off the thread, continued from B1 thread. Jfet Boz mentioned below. Sorry.

mhouston.
First, I do not think 12AX7 alone can have enough swing to push 6AS7. Second, B1 buffer has no voltgage gain, therefore it will not help either.

1) You need 50V to 60V swing to push 6AS7, therefore a 12AX7, an interstage transformer combined with lifted cathod voltage of 6AS7(auto bias of gate) can do the job. As I remember, it is called mixed bias method. Unless you can find a tube which can give you swing of 60V.

2) You may alos need Jfet Boz as a preamp in stead of B1 buffer.

Last edited:
Sorry. Off the thread, continued from B1 thread. Jfet Boz mentioned below. Sorry.

mhouston.
First, I do not think 12AX7 alone can have enough swing to push 6AS7. Second, B1 buffer has no voltgage gain, therefore it will not help either.

1) You need 50V to 60V swing to push 6AS7, therefore a 12AX7, an interstage transformer combined with lifted cathod voltage of 6AS7(auto bias of gate) can do the job. As I remember, it is called mixed bias method. Unless you can find a tube which can give you swing of 60V.

2) You may alos need Jfet Boz as a preamp in stead of B1 buffer.

Yes built BoZ all good now. Only one thing: the B1 sounds better than BoZ.