Jensen Coaxials

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently picked up a pair of H222. I use them with open baffle. First impression, the midrange is quite detail and smooth. The bass is strong and better than I expected for the fact I am using them with open baffle. But the bass does seem a little muddy. Also I few the mid might be a little exaggerated so I played around the HF level with the pot but could get a satisfying result. So I try to search for specification and schematic as I feel I should try bypassing the pot. There is very little information about them. I opened the cover on the back and also the small box on the side to try figure out what it has for crossover. However, the parts are potted and I can only see the shape of one coil and one cap. Since I cannot see any value, I can only base on what others written and not official documentation. I first disconnected the pot and the resistor to see how it sound. It all sounded a little less clear from top to mid and bass seem to be the same. Though over all it is more balanced. So I think the cap might needed a replacement. I connected a 3.3 uf cap directly to the tweeter and keeping the woofer connected to the original crossover. And wow, what a huge difference. They now sounded as good or better as some of the other legendary vintage speakers that I have heard like, Klipsch Cornwall, Quad ESL 57, Ditton66. I don't have anything setup to test it's frequency response but I really like how it sound with the new cap and bypassed the pot. I now thinking if I should built a new 2 level crossover based on the A204. Or should I just get a new coil for the woofer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.