Jeff Rowland Model 1 re-cap

Hey guys

I picked up this Jeff Rowland Model 1 about 6 months ago to drive my electrostatics and so far it's been working fine. I was curious on everyone's thoughts about doing a re-cap due to the age of this amp? The epoxy modules all seem to be working fine and are all original to my knowledge.

There isn't very many capacitors to begin with, but the 4 film caps on the output boards are looking pretty tired. Is there anything else that would be worth looking at or replacing? This amp runs very warm all the time the bias maybe should be checked as well. I currently don't have a schematic and the Jeff Rowland company doesn't have much interest in talking to me so they're not a lot of help. I really like this amp so I just want to get the most out of it.

Any advice is much appreciated!

PXL_20220610_230301624.jpg

PXL_20221103_025422587.jpg

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I doubt there is much to gain from replacing film caps, unless they are severely damaged. I‘m no expert, but the ones you show don’t look bad.

Checking/adjusting bias and DC offset are a good idea, but if the amp is running fine, I would be nervous about poking around. It’s pretty tight in that chassis.

Reactions: 1 user
I doubt there is much to gain from replacing film caps, unless they are severely damaged. I‘m no expert, but the ones you show don’t look bad.

Checking/adjusting bias and DC offset are a good idea, but if the amp is running fine, I would be nervous about poking around. It’s pretty tight in that chassis.
Yeah not touching it is definitely an option lol, I just thought I'd pitch the question with the amp being the age it is. I have no idea how to check bias and offset on this amp, information is hard to come by.

I can't see the photos clearly on my phone, but if there are any small electrolytic soldered to the pcbs, they warrant inspection and probqbly replacement.
In my 30 year old Rowland Consummate preamp a few were leaking and had eaten away the traces below them. Luckily we were able to reconstruct the traces and the preamp is working fine again.