Jean Michel on LeCleac'h horns

Hello Panomaniac,

The picture shown by Jazagaja
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...n-michel-lecleach-horns-iwata_300hz_1inch.gif

is for an "Iwata inspired" Le Cléac'h horn that I calculated.
I retained from the original Iwata the evolution of the width/height ratio of the wave fronts.

This horn can be considered as an elliptical version of the axisymetric Le Cléac'h horn

Seen from an axial position the mouth of horn (while curved) possess a quasi rectangular shape as the original Iwtaa horn.

Best regards from Paris, France

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

LOL
A frequent problem with women, I find. So many are so attractive - until they open their mouths to speak. The "Fran Drescher" syndrome.

I defense of the Iwata horn, it does sound great, and has sexy curves as well. The principle behind the Iwata curve (IIRC) was to keep the side walls perpendicular to the wave front as it expands. So Mr. Iwata developed his own profile. A number of other profiles are similar to his. Hard to say if one is "better" than another.

Hello,

Here are 3D views I drawn of the "Iwata inspired" Le Cléac'h horn.

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

Hello Panomaniac,

The picture shown by Jazagaja
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...n-michel-lecleach-horns-iwata_300hz_1inch.gif

is for an "Iwata inspired" Le Cléac'h horn that I calculated.
I retained from the original Iwata the evolution of the width/height ratio of the wave fronts.

This horn can be considered as an elliptical version of the axisymetric Le Cléac'h horn

Seen from an axial position the mouth of horn (while curved) possess a quasi rectangular shape as the original Iwtaa horn.

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

Attachments

• quasi_Iwata_2.jpg
    quasi_Iwata_2.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 1,181
Last edited:
Hello Soongsc,

As with the axisymetrical Le Cléac'h horn the area expansion of the wavefronts of the "Iwata inspired" Le Cléac'h horn is calculated according to the area expansion formula of the "hyperbolic" horns family . (For the Iwata generally T = 0,5 is considered.)

Then we have the same hypothesis as for the calculation of the axisymetrical Le Cléac'h horn:
- the curved wavefronts (considered as isophase surfaces) are parallel / equidistant
- the curved wavefronts are orthogonal to the axis and to the wall

The only added hypothesis that makes that horn an "Iwata inspired" horn is that there is, from the throat to the mouth, a linear evolution of the ratio between the curvilinear width and the curvilinear height of the curved wavefronts. (ratio = 1 at the throat to 3 at the mouth).

As with the OS waveguide a Le Cleac'h horn doesn't impose an empirical choice for the profile.

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

Jean-Michel ,
Do you calculate the area expansion first and then shape the cross section based on the calculated area?

Hello Soongsc,

As with the axisymetrical Le Cléac'h horn the area expansion of the wavefronts of the "Iwata inspired" Le Cléac'h horn is calculated according to the area expansion formula of the "hyperbolic" horns family . (For the Iwata generally T = 0,5 is considered.)

Then we have the same hypothesis as for the calculation of the axisymetrical Le Cléac'h horn:
- the curved wavefronts (considered as isophase surfaces) are parallel / equidistant
- the curved wavefronts are orthogonal to the axis and to the wall

The only added hypothesis that makes that horn an "Iwata inspired" horn is that there is, from the throat to the mouth, a linear evolution of the ratio between the curvilinear width and the curvilinear height of the curved wavefronts. (ratio = 1 at the throat to 3 at the mouth).

As with the OS waveguide a Le Cleac'h horn doesn't impose an empirical choice for the profile.

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

Jean-Michel, would you mind to email me both contours (horizontally and vertically) ?
I'd like to calculate a sim for both contours "as if being axis symmetric" and share here.

Might be interesting to compare as soon as measurements are available too?

Michael

Uppsala DIY meet 2009 - lots of pictures - DIY - All things HiFI and AV - HiFi WigWam - HiFi Forum

This system could rock!! It had bass, dynamics to no limit and the individual registers were resolved, detailed and life. Lots of lifelike scale to the music with a huge soundstage. The problem was that he didn't have the time to fine tune it into one speaker system, you could easily hear the parts.

upsala.jpg

upsala2.jpg

==========================================================
http://www.audiovoice-acoustics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168&page=43

Last edited:
The white horn system is (ok, was) mine. 250Hz Kugelwellen mids with 2" drivers, 120Hz midbass horn with JBL 2202H. The bass boxes didn´t actually belong to that system but I couldn´t bring my bass horns to the DIY meeting where the picture was taken. The tweeters are not mine, I borrowed them just before the meeting started.

As a consequence of loosing my job I´m moving out of my house and instead of trying to find a place to store the horns I simply gave them away.
Might take some time before I find a decent place to stay and I don´t want to bring those sand filled midbass horns along in the meantime.
BTW they look MUCH better on the picture than they´ve ever done IRL, I don´t miss them that much. I´m glad that the horns found a new owner.

The white horn system is (ok, was) mine. 250Hz Kugelwellen mids with 2" drivers, 120Hz midbass horn with JBL 2202H. The bass boxes didn´t actually belong to that system but I couldn´t bring my bass horns to the DIY meeting where the picture was taken. The tweeters are not mine, I borrowed them just before the meeting started.

As a consequence of loosing my job I´m moving out of my house and instead of trying to find a place to store the horns I simply gave them away.
Might take some time before I find a decent place to stay and I don´t want to bring those sand filled midbass horns along in the meantime.
BTW they look MUCH better on the picture than they´ve ever done IRL, I don´t miss them that much. I´m glad that the horns found a new owner.

sorry to hear about your situation
but I'm sure good things will happen to generous guys like you :cool:

do you still have any plans for the horns?

Horn loaded 8,5cm BMR (JMLC400 T=0,7). Exact throat fit. Quite huge aberrations :(
Appended. AxiDriver simu and actual response.
There are two things that I have experienced.
1. Driver loading is not accurate.
2. If the driver and throat dimensions are modeled with accuracy of 0.1mm, free field measurements comparible with baffled simulation.
3. Above 10KHz is where the results will differ more significantly. However problems are still identifyable, just the frequency response is not that accurate.

Got speaker samples from STX.pl for my new project. D1300-Ti 2" compression driver is a new design. I believe those will compete with big names in industry for much lower price. Have a hope we could get from theme a true midrange (100Hz - 1 kHz) compression driver in future.

Attachments

• STX_1.jpg
    STX_1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 547
  • STX_3.jpg
    STX_3.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 537
  • STX_4.jpg
    STX_4.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 532
Horn loaded 8,5cm BMR (JMLC400 T=0,7). Exact throat fit. Quite huge aberrations :(
Appended. AxiDriver simu and actual response.

Two thoughts, Jzagaja

- if your driver does not perform linearly in free air why should it meet the simu?
- the driver seems not to be capable to keep wave front plane up the frequencies range measured - something like a basic requirement *if* simus in AxiDriver and reality should match to some extent...

Besides above - way too much surround area involved IMO to get any good transition to horn throat - but just a guess

Michael