Jean Michel on LeCleac'h horns

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
OK, thanks Michael. I was hoping for an idea of how much mismatch would give "bad" results.

It would be nice if we could revisit this in a practical sense. E.G., 12.5 deg throat on the CD mated with 25 degree throat on the horn looks like "this" as opposed to 12.5+12.5 etc.

That might be handy for us builders.
If you get a chance.

ScottG said:

Oh hell no! :D

I didn't purchase it. I am however contemplating the purchase of Solidworks premium (though for other reasons).

I don't know what the pricing structure is like - if it's like ProE, then it's just plain nutty. But I rather think it's somewhat more similar to Solidworks for price. i.e. you have the initial high expense depending on what sort of software package you want - THEN you have a much lower annual support/update fees *if desired*. (..could be wrong though.)

If you don't have rigor requirements to the 3-D CAD, I suggest to have a look into ALIBRE (which part of my CAD drawings were made with).

You get it at reasonable prices or even for free with slightly limited functionality. Learning curve isn't exceptionally steep either – if you have some basic knowledge (good tutorial available)

http://www.alibre.com/products/
http://www.alibre.info/alibreversionen/index.php

Its the same as with ORCAD – when I bought it (MicrosSim) back then, it was expensive like hell – now you get great LT-Spice for free...

This is one thing I really like to see developing as some rare spread nucleus – not each, everything and anybody follows the idiot laws of "money making" (god economy - and all its even more idiot science around) that predictable cycles through so called crisis times - creating incredible harm world wide right now!

Michael

panomaniac said:
OK, thanks Michael. I was hoping for an idea of how much mismatch would give "bad" results.

It would be nice if we could revisit this in a practical sense. E.G., 12.5 deg throat on the CD mated with 25 degree throat on the horn looks like "this" as opposed to 12.5+12.5 etc.

That might be handy for us builders.
If you get a chance.

Sure Pano, this is the idea - but as said - anybody can do...
AxiDriver is available for FREE as well !!!!

http://www.randteam.de/AxiDriver/Index.html

DIY never was more fun - getting almost all tools needed to gain some insight for free (ARTA for measurement as well)

Michael

Lynn Olson said:
Good work, John and Michael! It's really good to see the quality of work you've put into this. Very much appreciated - and going into the lion's den of AA to make your first and second post took a bit of courage right there.

Fewer gurus, more data!!! (And yes, my avatar is strictly tongue-in-cheek, although the original pix was taken in India.)
Lynn,

Thanks for bringing the Newell & Holland book on Loudspeakers to our attention. It very clearly addresses CSDs as I have experience, and provides a lot more information on aspects to consider when designing speakers for different applications. I would put it on the MUST READ list for anyone serious in loudspeaker design.

Hello,

Originally posted by mige0 *If* we would have a ideal constant directivity speaker (one with a certain directivity) we would see no colour changes along the horizontal lines but colour changes in the vertical direction – giving the impression of looking at a horizontal "half pipe".

*If* we would have a omni speaker with a falling or rising FR we would see no colour changes along the vertical direction but colour changes along the horizontal lines – giving the impression of looking at a vertical "quater pipe".

Vice versa, isn't it? ;)
The vertical scale represents the angle, so the CD speaker should not produce SPL variations over angle _inside_ the coverage area.

A rising amplitude response would produce a variation to deeper colours to the right of the diagram, which represents higher frequencies.

Please compare to the 0° incidence normalisation of that sonogram, you already know, both are of the same presentation type. This type of presentation is very well known in PA, because it is one of the best readable ones and it's not new at all.

Best regards, Timo

tiki said:
Hello,

Please compare to the 0° incidence normalisation of that sonogram, you already know, both are of the same presentation type. This type of presentation is very well known in PA, because it is one of the best readable ones and it's not new at all.

Best regards, Timo

Agree - this kind of visualisation isn't new – I recall Earl having also introduced it in a variant – but around here I only remember soongsc having presented results in this form now and then – hence I thought its worth to write a little explanation around it.
IMO this kind of visualisation too is great as you see both directivity and FR smoothness immediately (*if* you are after directivity at all).

tiki said:

mige0 said:

DiHo_2-1.gif

*If* we would have a ideal constant directivity speaker (one with a certain directivity) we would see no colour changes along the horizontal lines but colour changes in the vertical direction – giving the impression of looking at a "half pipe" - the "half pipe" being orientated horizontally.

*If* we would have a omni speaker with a falling or rising FR we would see no colour changes along the vertical direction but colour changes along the horizontal lines – giving the impression of looking at a "quater pipe" - the "quater pipe" being orientated vertically.

Vice versa, isn't it? ;)
The vertical scale represents the angle, so the CD speaker should not produce SPL variations over angle _inside_ the coverage area.

A rising amplitude response would produce a variation to deeper colours to the right of the diagram, which represents higher frequencies.

Best regards, Timo

" Vice versa, isn't it? ;)"

Äähh – no – don't think so.

" so the CD speaker should not produce SPL variations over angle _inside_ the coverage area."

This is a dictum from why CD speakers were invented for in the past – to produce even audience coverage.
But it is not the definition of CD at all – and no requirement if you are after optimisation of advanced EQing, requiring good min phase behaviour.

" The vertical scale represents the angle, so the CD speaker should not produce SPL variations over angle _inside_ the coverage area."

Yes the vertical scale does represent the angle.
But CD speakers usually *do* have variations in SPL over angle – they just have the *same* variation of SPL over angle at all frequencies (or at least should have) – meaning you get sort of "half-pipe" - – the "half pipe" being orientated horizontally – or, more likely - the "whale" seen in my pix.
Some whales are fat – some whales being more lean ;)

" A rising amplitude response would produce a variation to deeper colours to the right of the diagram, which represents higher frequencies."

Yes, kind of "quarter pipe" look – the "quarter pipe" being orientated vertically - as I've put it.

Thanks for posting your directivity sonogram – looks like the bones of a really fat whale :D
What does it show?

Michael

Well *this* looks like really big bucks - and a dual quad core may be a loughable hardware basis for this as well...??

Give us an overall impression of the system you calculated this sims on and also about the time to set up and run the simu please !

I run it on a P4 3.2gHz with 2GB of ram. It takes ~1-2 hours to do the steady state response, 2-3 hours to do the transient response. The bigger the model, higher the frequency, more frequency points, longer the time after impulse, the longer it takes.

I'm using ANSYS Mechanical which costs ~$36k.

Very fascinating! I've bin following this discussion for a while now.

My current setup is 2x peerless sls12 and a Fostex FE166E per speaker. This is in a OB and the weight is about 30 kilo's per speaker :)
Anyway a would like to convert this setup. The mid and high is going to be driven by the Fostex (horn) and Im keeping the low in OB setting.

I used the excelsheet to calculate the profile, i used the 2007 version is that the latest?

The setting i chose are as followed:
- cut off frequency 300 Hz
- diameter of the throat 130mm
- angle of exit of the driver 2 degrees
- and the "T" coefficient 0

I think these are the right settings???

I also found a nice way to import the profile into autocad:
http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_t...t-xy-coordinates-from-excel-into-autocad.html

This is really perfect after you put in the first hundred value's in manually :dead:

With my next BEM simulations I'd like to show how Oblade Speroide contour, LeCleach contour and direct radiators compare with respect to sound field defects.

Again this is visualised by showing their behaviour in the powerful directivity sonogram. The resolution is a moderate 100 points through the 1000 – 20kHz range.

In order to get a idea how the sound field at a certain frequency would look like, I added a sound field graph at 4kHz (two octaves above 1kHz) - also showing the contour used and how it is "attached" to an infinite baffle.
In addition to that this allows to get an idea of the process of "what is cooked inside the horn spills out into the room"

Direct radiator of roughly 10cm / 4"

DiRa_4.gif

DiRa_4_sf.gif

Direct radiator of roughly 20cm / 8"

DiRa_8.gif

DiRa_8_sf.gif

Direct radiator of roughly 40cm / 16"

DiRa_16.gif

DiRa_16_sf.gif

Oblade Spheroide with 1 ½ " entrance

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

LeCleach with 1 ½ " entrance

LC_IB.gif

LC_IB_sf.gif

soongsc's contour (or at least kind of "reverse engineering" ;) ) with 1 ½ " entrance

soongsc_IB_mirrored.gif

soongsc_IB_mirrored_sf.gif

All "drivers" are actually plain wave fronts that are injected (piston diaphragm).

The OS contour is deliberately shown without any rounding of the mouth to make clear the effects when not taking seriously the issue of mouth diffraction (as seen in many, many commercial designs) and also to provide an easy comparison to the issue of throat joint diffraction shown earlier (the "moon racer" pix)

In case you get lost in trying to decode the highly concentrated information content in the directivity sonogram I'd recommend to reread my short introduction on "how to read" directivity sonogram.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1888195#post1888195

Michael

Michael,

Care to show us the OS version *with* roundover into the baffle? Otherwise this again is sort of unfair.

And please normalize the directivity plots to the 0° on-axis SPL (only a few mouse clicks away, "normalize --> to curve in x-graph"). EDIT: Then again, we know that 0° not necessarily is the optimum angle, for OS....

- Klaus