• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

JE labs 2A3 evaluation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just a note regarding the mellowness of the B&Ws.

My 802s were the most mellow speakers I have ever heard. I read opinions of them as saying they "shovel" the music at you. Absolutely true. Perhaphs the 6-series you have is the same way. Definitely a laid back speaker, terrible for rock.

From Arnach

they "shovel" the music at you

I don't understand what that means. From what I remember of the 802's (1990), they were too tight below. I wonder if it is the characteristic of using small drivers and tight enclosures. When I listened to B&W's vs Infinity RS9 Kappa's, the difference in sound was very great. The 802's needed a sub woofer with a large driver or something.

With my SS amp, the 602's need my subwoofer. With the 300B, they don't need it.

Ah, okay. Roger on that.

I guess I don't really have a good reference as the most "rock" -iest group I normally play would be Steely Dan.

I've recently started into Metallica and going back into KISS, but mostly listen to that stuff with my Sennheisers. I should try playing this stuff on my speakers.

So, a mellow amp with mellow speakers! Not too mellow though. That was Polk Audio 12C with NAD 2150 (or something like that - 1983). That combination was way too boring!

Anyway, how's the amp sounding lately? How's the amp settling?

amp

Well it is still a little edgy with the Fostex speakers but better with the new driver tubes. I think that the amp needs to break in a little , I have been playing the speakers all day at work to breake them in(major break in time for the fostex drivers and I dont think that BR enclosure is the optimal one for these speakers.
Iam building a back horn loaded enclosure using Fostex 166 now.

Jeff

enclosure

Best enclosure acording to manufac is BHL , not sure about infintite
baffle for I am rather green myself.

here is my bass reflex

Attachments

• fe167.jpg
    fe167.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 371
kusojiji said:
Arnoldc,

You must have very efficient speakers or you go for quality of the sound rather than the volume as a rocker!!

I would not have thought of a SET amp for rock, but a push-pull instead.

So, 2A3 has a faster response, tighter sound than a 300B?
I'd say I have a mid efficiency speaker set - Altec 406-8Y on Altec 614 cabinet + Oxford horns, and it does justice on Dance music as well. Oh I love those remixes on Vinyl!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It's the speakers that matter, though I used to own a PP amp - Anthem Amp 1 driving my 89dB Infinity Kappa (now sold). I also use a 1.2W 10Y amplifier when the 2A3 is taking a rest.

Yes for me, to your last question.

ps.

For whatever it's worth, I also have an Altec 2459A on open baffles, according to the JE Labs website.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Tenderland,

Nice speakers! Infinite baffle is hard to achieve unless you are very far from neighbors! ;-) Sorry, but I was actually thinking of what Arnoldc posted. That is basically designed to bring out the properties of the positive pulse of the cone and minimize the effect of the negative (back) side of the cone without having the properties of the "box" adding to the sound.

Arnoldc,

Nice pics! I don't have room for those. I basically sit about 3 ft from my speakers. That's why I like my amp so much. It doesn't take a lot of power to get great sound. I need to crank up my SS amp quite a bit to get the bass response that I like.

. . . I gotta move to a bigger house!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.