JBL 4310 fiberglass behind mid-driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am not talking about audiophiles and their neophyte ( often wrong) concepts and marketing susceptabilty. I have designed speakers ( not tweek them, build them) as a hobby for 23 years off and on and I am
a college educated recording engineer (now). Read some books man...I have read three. And some AES journals and white papers . . .I did see a page with measurements a year ago.. ....my B&W panels (and other speakers with overly thin panels) are going to absorb then release energy. The Bitum is not damping the speaker it is damping the cabinet because it is too thin... The release of energy theoretically will smear the sound with reverberation back into the cone interupting it's new signal (mechanically) and releasing sound through the cone. A high modulous from a stiff cabinet is going to be so high in frequency as to have very little acoustic power and get absorbed by damping and be drowned out..but these cones are so stiff and damped and the cabinet is literally stuffed will long hair wool (factory done- these are acoustic suspension speakers- not "sealed" or bass reflex) . These are some of the reasons to dampen a cabinet...to keep rear sound waves from rocking the cone or transmitting sound through the thin cone membrane as well as air pressure damping. but there is also the potential for sound coming off the cabinet. So I will stiffen them. I am going to stiffen the box as I might take the speakers into the studio as a third set of monitors after heavy modification using a new tweeter, new crossover, cabinet treatment and stuffing adjustment...Wool is great for Acoustic Suspension, Sealed, Transmission Line, and heavily damped Bass Reflex....a lightly damped Bass Reflex calls for fiberglass due to it's consistent density and effectiveness. .. I like and use both. . . (2" glass not 3 1/2 or 5 1/2 wall insulation). . .

I am too busy tweeking some mixes mastering this morning so I am not going to look for a link for you about damping material . . .have a nice day . . .~e~

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.