JBL 2234 + EV DH1A/HP940?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a few parts and am thinking about putting together a 2-way using JBL 2234 and EV's DH1A coupled with HP940 horns.

I am listening to the EV's now in a pair of TL606DW with the XEQ504A crossover. Together they sound pretty good, but one off the EV DL15W in each speaker has been swapped for out for an EV pro woofer (not sure what off the top of my head, but seems less efficient and they just don't quite sound as good as the DL15W). Overall, while they sound good, mids and highs are crystal clear and are there in spades, I feel that they lack some bottom end.

Its my first experience with compression drivers and am blown away by how big, open and effortless they play. And super detailed.

Anyway, I have a spare pair of DH1A compression drivers, HP940 horn flares and a pair of JBL 2226 baskets which I can recone to make 2234 (using a genuine recone kit).

Crossover would be at 500 Hz (same as the current EV speakers).

Cabinet volume would be ~ 5 cubic feet (~140L) a bit bigger or smaller is fine. - but not entirely sure of tuning - have read different things - high 20s to low/mid 30s...?

Any thoughts?

DH1A + HP940 is probably one of the best horn-driver combinations of yesteryear.

500 Hz should be fine for home use, and while the HP-940 gradually loses vertical pattern control around 2000 Hz, it's unlikely to be distracting.
Directivity control is excellent, even by today's standards and there's hardly any pattern flip to speak of.
Pattern flip is the phenomenon of the vertical beam width angle becoming narrower than the horizontal, around 800Hz for the HP940.

Attachments

• ElectroVoiceConstantDirectivityHornHp940UsersManual539006-User-Guide-Page-1.png
    ElectroVoiceConstantDirectivityHornHp940UsersManual539006-User-Guide-Page-1.png
    503.5 KB · Views: 203
  • ElectroVoiceConstantDirectivityHornHp940UsersManual539006-User-Guide-Page-2.png
    ElectroVoiceConstantDirectivityHornHp940UsersManual539006-User-Guide-Page-2.png
    406.9 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
I have a few parts and am thinking about putting together a 2-way using JBL 2234 and EV's DH1A coupled with HP940 horns.

I am listening to the EV's now in a pair of TL606DW with the XEQ504A crossover. Overall, while they sound good, mids and highs are crystal clear and are there in spades, I feel that they lack some bottom end.

Cabinet volume would be ~ 5 cubic feet (~140L) a bit bigger or smaller is fine. - but not entirely sure of tuning - have read different things - high 20s to low/mid 30s...?

Any thoughts?
Microdub,

EV DH1A/HP940 is a great sounding combination!

The TL606DW Fb is 40Hz, like any ported cabinet response drops like a rock (about 24dB per octave) below Fb. With so much pop recorded material now having content down into the 20s, almost an octave of bass is missing.
Loaded with DL15W, the TL606DW average sensitivity below 125Hz is 96dB, but rises to 100dB above, making it a bit "thin" to start with. Mismatched drivers probably are not helping the LF any..
If you cover one port, the Fb will drop to around 30 Hz, but LF sensitivity will also be reduced. Trying this will give you an idea of what the different tunings sound like before any new construction begins. That said, the reduced port area will chuff (make wind noise) at high volume, if you like the lower tuning, the original port area with longer ducts should be used.

One other trial would be to just use one DL15W, fit a cover plate over the missing lower driver. The response at FB will be the same as with both drivers, but upper response will be 6 dB less, though would require changes in the passive crossover designed for a four ohm load to work properly in the upper range.

Depending on your room, and taste for bass, with either the JBL 2234 or the TL606DW a LF EQ boost likely will be required, and a steep high pass (low cut) filter a few Hz below Fb should be used to keep excursion in check below Fb if you like to play loud.
The JBL has a bit more excursion than the EVDL15W, but going from two drivers to one is going to reduce LF potential by 6dB.

Art

hey all, thanks for picking up this thread!

Update on the TL606DW - I replaced the surrounds on 4x DL-15W (came with another pair of cabinets) and replaced the mismatched drivers. Straight away, things sounded better at the bottom end. But the bottom end is still out shined by the DH1A/HP940.

Having got to pairing it with the JBL yet.

Thanks for the information and thoughts. much appreciated.

hey all, thanks for picking up this thread!

Update on the TL606DW - I replaced the surrounds on 4x DL-15W (came with another pair of cabinets) and replaced the mismatched drivers. Straight away, things sounded better at the bottom end. But the bottom end is still out shined by the DH1A/HP940.
Didn't notice the date of the OP..
Doing a 2.5 way crossover, that is rolling off the lower woofer down to 250 Hz or so, then reducing the DH1A/HP940 output to match would clean up the midrange in the crossover region, and drop the upper range down by about 6dB, which would even things out considerably.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.