JBC for tiny soldering

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
They're great, I'm working with one every working day as a design engineer, it's an older JBC Advanced version 2.1 (AD2200) type but it works perfect.
They have a very short warm up time of <4 sec and generate loads of energy on big surfaces, never get cold.
There is also a shutdown if you created a current through the station supplied by the pcb. Nothing scary most of the time, caps discharging is not an issue and it's happening only a couple times a year with me.
The AD2010 grip is fine and really is controllable with you thumb.

I am a bit worried about the 5W tip of the model you're referring to, it's very light and I guess it will be suited for the smaller jobs only, but if that is what you want it will be fine I think.

At work we have both JBC and Metcal and find JBC more versatile than Metcal.

I am not completely sure what technology JBC uses but it seems to work very well when large ground plains are found.

In our internal tests we have found that we actually save money with JBC and have decided to phase out metcal eventually. Tip life is an issue, and so is temperature control, especially now tat we are starting to use lead free solder and the Metcal does not seem to react well to it.

Right now the only advantage I find using the metcals is that there is no possibility of temperature overshoot, but I am willing to risk it if our scrap keeps diminishing as it has with JBC.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.