Jason it's time for an immigration...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello guys,
I'm member in a dozen of forums on the net and all have been upgrading to new forum-makers during past five years. vBulletin features is now very limited comparing to new scripts. I think it is worth every penny if you could invest a couple of hundred dollars to immigrate to a something like XenForo or IPS Community Suite. all the current date will be preserved and transferred to new forum. it's a SQL job only.
I hope other members support this idea. I know it would be a big change in diyaudio.com history

I think the software used now on this site is about the best that is in use in these kinds of forums. Others have upgraded and the result was not an improvement, with much less user-friendly operation, very buggy operation, and loss of established features. Check out TechTalk as an extreme example of a site that used to work ok but got improved to something that users basically have to fight with to be able to use in any fashion.

I understand that 'updating' will at some time become necessary, if only to work with changes in server software and needed volume. But usability compared to other sites' software is not a reason to change what is already pretty much the most usable audio forum. If only audioasylum, Techtalk, and AVS would use what diyaudio uses.

new version of Vbulletin is very nice to use and very user-friendly. I'm pretty sure it will enhance site ranking within a few months. imagine you can attach images drag and drop. you can have personal photo gallery and countless of other interesting features.

bwaslo said:
I think the software used now on this site is about the best that is in use in these kinds of forums. Others have upgraded and the result was not an improvement, with much less user-friendly operation, very buggy operation, and loss of established features.
Couldnt have said it better!!

Xenforo is OK but its NOT AS GOOD AS THIS!! -- Its slower,dumbed down and basic...

There isnt ANYTHING as good as VB3.x and lower out there now!!

NEWER IS NOT BETTER!!

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hello guys,
I'm member in a dozen of forums on the net and all have been upgrading to new forum-makers during past five years. vBulletin features is now very limited comparing to new scripts. I think it is worth every penny if you could invest a couple of hundred dollars to immigrate to a something like XenForo or IPS Community Suite. all the current date will be preserved and transferred to new forum. it's a SQL job only.
I hope other members support this idea. I know it would be a big change in diyaudio.com history

We're very likely moving to XenForo in the next few months. IPB used to be my preference but XF seems to be more focused on performance and in line with where I'd like to take the forum. It's also the "natural" non-VB upgrade path, being from the same developer, and shares a lot in common with VB. I will reserve further comment when I make a post and email newsletter on this subject in the very near future.

I wouldn't change it unless there are serious performance or security issues...

Both of these issues are considerable and pressing. Many components we rely on are beyond end-of-life and have no replacement - we have to move soon before our hand is forced. And so we will.

I don't have a timeframe, but it will be within the next few months.

We're very likely moving to XenForo in the next few months...

Seems like the logical choice.

Both of these issues are considerable and pressing. Many components we rely on are beyond end-of-life and have no replacement - we have to move soon before our hand is forced. And so we will.

Yeah, VB is becoming an infestation in itself. A lot of malware has been spread through old VB installations lately. Unfortunately, also through new installations that are up-to-date. The new VB owners don't seem to care.

We're very likely moving to XenForo in the next few months. IPB used to be my preference but XF seems to be more focused on performance and in line with where I'd like to take the forum. It's also the "natural" non-VB upgrade path, being from the same developer, and shares a lot in common with VB. I will reserve further comment when I make a post and email newsletter on this subject in the very near future.

Yes yes yes yes yes :D it's the best news I've heard in my entire visual life

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.