JamJar: an HPA-1-inspired power amp

Joined 2019
Paid Member
It's a box made of aluminum, which contains circuit boards made of epoxy fiberglass. Soldered to these circuit boards are passive devices (resistors etc) and active devices (field effect transistors etc) made of silicon. Connecting these boards together are wires made of copper. On the periphery of the box, a few electrical connectors are disposed. These communicate signal-in, loudspeaker-out, power-in, as they transition between the external world and the interior of the box. Pretty straightforward really. You've seen similar examples before.

:slow-clap: :D

Might want to check if is the bolt that is making noise. If so, another type of bolt material might be worth trying. If steel, maybe try stainless or brass.

This one had me intrigued enough to try out -- but, no, it sounds the same with no bolt at all.

It'll be interesting to see if its twin is the same. Then again, the DC Trap gives me one more thing to build. :)

0341e6059a3fa80de8a98234982e98e0.jpg

The Richlite I used for the front-end-board brackets wasn't up to holding M3 tapped holes. I've tapped successfully into other phenolic boards before, so I'm not sure if it's the difference between paper-based phenolic (Richlite) and linen/cotton-based ones, or if it's just the tiny threads on M3.

In any event, I had to Helicoil them:

attachment.php

This shows the new routing of the output wires along the back panel instead of from the fronts of the output boards. While not in this picture, the feedback wire also attaches to the output post.

attachment.php

Attachments

• progress6.JPG
    progress6.JPG
    373.6 KB · Views: 748
  • progress7.JPG
    progress7.JPG
    355.1 KB · Views: 741