• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Jacks for probing cathode and plate voltages in SSE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Rather than doing the cumbersome and potentially dangerous task of getting
under the chassis to probe for cathode and anode voltages I'm thinking that
I should install jacks on the chassis to do these probes.

So for the cathode resistors I should have two live jacks and one common
jack, correct ?

For the anode (plate) voltage I should also have two live jacks and one
common jack with the live jacks connected to the terminals on the pcb
where the blue wire of the opt's are connected, correct ?

Where do I connect the common jack for the plate probe ?

Can somebody provide the part no. for appropriate jacks from DigiKey ?

Last edited:
Putting a live jack across the cathode resistors it probably OK. The voltages are relatively safe so long as the circuit is working properly. In the unlikely event of a tube short that doesn't take out the amp fuse first, you could have a very high voltage...potentially B+, there. I have banana jacks on my SSE to do this:

tubelab-simplese-cathode-resistor-test-points.jpg

I would refrain from exposing the plate voltage on the top of the chassis. I would say that the risk of having B+ up there and potentially killing someone inadvertently is far greater than the risk of you hurting yourself when you are actively servicing the amp.

Putting a live jack across the cathode resistors it probably OK. The voltages are relatively safe so long as the circuit is working properly. In the unlikely event of a tube short that doesn't take out the amp fuse first, you could have a very high voltage...potentially B+, there. I have banana jacks on my SSE to do this:

I would refrain from exposing the plate voltage on the top of the chassis. I would say that the risk of having B+ up there and potentially killing someone inadvertently is far greater than the risk of you hurting yourself when you are actively servicing the amp.

Your warning is well taken. I was thinking of installing these jacks at the
rear of the chassis plate behind the transformers and sticking electrical
tape over them. I think I'll just install the ones for the cathode resistors.
Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.