Italians please help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am trying to figure out absolutely 100% correct phrase and grammar to have engraved on a gift for my dad's 80th birthday. My Italian is very rusty. Is it:

"Felice ottantesimo compleanno"

"Auguri sul vostro ottantesimo compleanno"

And I cannot for the life of me remeber the correct rules of grammar for capitalization within a greeting. And is the abbrevivation for ottantesimo "80" with superscripted "o" suffix?

Please help if you can! Thanks.

leadbelly said:
I am trying to figure out absolutely 100% correct phrase and grammar to have engraved on a gift for my dad's 80th birthday. My Italian is very rusty. Is it:

"Felice ottantesimo compleanno"

"Auguri sul vostro ottantesimo compleanno"

And I cannot for the life of me remeber the correct rules of grammar for capitalization within a greeting. And is the abbrevivation for ottantesimo "80" with superscripted "o" suffix?

Please help if you can! Thanks.

Here I am! :)

"Felice ottantesimo compleanno" is ok, perfect grammar
"Auguri sul vostro ottantesimo compleanno" should be modified in "Auguri per il tuo ottantesimo compleanno". "per il tuo" means "for your" it's a pretty confidential form, and I think you can use it with your father :)

Again "ottantesimo" could be 'numerized' as you wrote (80°) but normally we use to write numbers with letters (if possible) and use the figures only if the number is complicated to be 'letterized'.

Capitalization is correct in both sentences. Just an exception could be made when using a pronoun (vostro) that became 'Vostro'. This exception is used only if you are referring to a people that needs to be referred to with high formality.

Summarizing: if you have a good relation and intimacy with your father use the first 2 sentences I wrote. If you want to be formal use "Auguri per il Vostro ottantesimo compleanno"

Many congratulations to your dad!

HTH
Bye, Fabrizio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.