ISO audiophile blues and jazz on CD

51EPjGIJ+yL.jpg

Dunno if anyone has recommended this already: The year 2010 CD remastering of the 1962 smooth jazz classic, the Vince Guaraldi Trio playing their versions (or "Impressions") of music from the art film Black Orpheus, with the added hit single "Cast Your Fate Into the Wind."

I listen to the hi-res stream on Qobuz, and this remains a difficult record to beat, sonically.

And of course, with the West Coast jazz style movie music plus the smooth jazz crossover hit "Fate," musically, a masterpiece.

If you shop on Amazon, make sure that the product you select to buy says that it is the 2010 remastering, as far as I know the most recent CD version.

https://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Impressions-of-Black-Orpheus/dp/B003YOMND6/

john

Reactions: 1 user
I have my first winning CD purchase from this thread! 🏆

Ramsey Lewis: Hang on Ramsey! remastered by BGO Records in England.

It's live, and it's very well done. It's punchy and dynamic, and, especially on Hang on Sloopy if you turn it up, you can get almost the "you are there" feeling.

My only minor complaints are:
  1. The piano isn't as forward as I had hoped, so the drums sort of smack you in the face with the piano being a bit distant sounding.
  2. The listening perspective is that of a person standing on stage rather than being in the audience.
So be it. No recording is perfect, and this one is rapidly becoming one of my favorites despite my quibbles. I can't stop listening to it. The performance is excellent as is the remastering job.

It's a double CD with two LPs transferred to one CD. The other part of the CD is Ramsey Lewis: Wade in the Water which I haven't really listend to yet.

So, I will be looking at additional CDs from BGO Records. They seem to know their stuff when it comes to remastering old recordings to CD.

You can listen to the album free on YouTube to see if you like the music:

Ramsey Lewis Trio Greatest hits on Chess records is live with most recorded at the Bohemian Cavens..

The quality is good for recordings done way back from 1961 to 1967, & were 32-bit remastered in 1997.

The main stuff was recorded live at The Bohemian Caverns or The Lighthouse Club in 1964/65.....One of the tracks "High Heel Sneakers" was recorded as mono...

The 1987 version is widely available, but the 1997 version is hard to come by. I did find a copy, and I ordered it. I had to get it from the UK, so it will be a while before it arrives here in the US. I hope this is it. It seems to have come in a carboard sleeve, and it looks totally different from the 1987 version:

1687751087343.png

Thanks for the link. It's an interesting article:

So if we’re focusing on the compact disc, why all the talk about vinyl? To put it plainly and simply, if it wasn’t for the resurgence in the vinyl record medium, compact discs would have very possibly faded into oblivion. When the Vinyl Revival ‘happened,’ what it did, beyond just making vinyl records ‘a thing’ and ‘cool again,’ was to re-establish the craving and passion for owning ‘physical music media’ – music that was also visible, tangible and collectible. Where digital music files; at least from the very late ‘90s, lead the way to desensitizing music fans to the pleasures of owning physical media, the resurgence in the desire and the production of vinyl records countered that (and hugely) by showing the majority of the music buying public [millennials] that music was actually cool to collect, it was cool 'to hold,' it was cool to 'look at,' just as much as it is to listen to. And this newly found pleasure in going out to your record store or shopping online to purchase physical music, did not stop at vinyl, but it translated to compact discs (and even a recent interest in the slow but increasing return of cassette tape production and sales). In the past year, the retail presence of compact disc reissues (as well as new releases) have clearly been on the rise, and they are being spoken about more and showcased more wherever you find musical information online.