ISO: 1" Dia Multisection Electrolytic Can Caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Specifically, I need a 10/10/10uF (3 section) twist lock capacitor, all rated at 350V. It's replacing a 1" diameter twist lock cap in an Ampex 121 tape transport.

I also need a 20@250/40@250/25@25 in a 1" twist lock can for a Pilot 590 recap.

Seems that few or no new manufacture of the 1" twist locks is being done.
My usual suppliers, TEDDS and CE Dist don't have much in the 1" fare. Any leads to new suppliers would be appreciated.

Mainly because equivalent caps of same rating are so much smaller now than they were when the cans were new, ther is little need for such cans in the market. people like CE have them made for the old gear restoration market, which in the larger scene is a tiny tiny market.

Unless you are worried about visual marketability, most times we replace dead can caps with discrete caps soldered directly to the points needed, rather than have wires run across the chassis to the can.

I usually leave the can in place for appearance sake, but cut all connections off its tabs. That may not be an acceptable option, but all I can offer.

That's what I have been doing on lower budget restorations, but I hate doing it.
On the larger can caps, I gut the innards and re-stuff them, but two capacitors per can is about the limit. 3 & 4 section caps are beyond doable. Thankfully, C-E has a growing selection of the larger can caps, but only one in this smaller format. My search would not be complete if I didn't ask around.

Specifically, I need a 10/10/10uF (3 section) twist lock capacitor, all rated at 350V. It's replacing a 1" diameter twist lock cap in an Ampex 121 tape transport.

I also need a 20@250/40@250/25@25 in a 1" twist lock can for a Pilot 590 recap.

Seems that few or no new manufacture of the 1" twist locks is being done.
My usual suppliers, TEDDS and CE Dist don't have much in the 1" fare. Any leads to new suppliers would be appreciated.
Hi, Robert here. Saw your March 28 note, actually tubesandmore.com (Antique Electronics) has a 20-20-20/350 in a 1" can but they mistakenly listed it as having a 1-3/8" diameter. I spoke with them last week on the phone and mentioned the mistake. I know, because a couple of years ago I suggested this can, since there was nothing I could find for the Marantz 7C, which uses one of these 1" can capacitors. Hope this helps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.