Is this vishay MLCC good for compensation cap?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• cera.jpg
    cera.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 209
I am using MLCC caps for compensation, never have had any problems. The value is allways OK.
To compare to silver-mica's I got on ebay from a ''trusted'' seller, the silver micas are around 50-70% out of the specs tolerance.
I have stopped to buy fancy ebay capacitors. Better to get standard ceremic cap but from the good source, it is the most important capacitor from stability and realibility of the amplifier so it must be 100% good. The soundvise I have no idea.
Regards
Peter

Compensation caps need to have a stable dielectric, and that is their only requirement. As long as this is the case, there is no "sonic improvement"

Do not use disc capacitors such as you have pictured - they are typically Y5V or X7R dielectric, neither of which is suitable for compensation use.

Ceramics with an NP0/C0G type dielectric are highly stable and perfect for use. Silver mica works, but is excessive as they are large and expensive.

I've also used NP0 ceramic capacitors in filters e.g. the low pass filter on the input. I pay no heed to anyone who claims "ceramics sound bad"

Joined 2010
Paid Member
It was once the case that through-hole NPO ceramic caps all came with obvious black paint dipped tops, as in #5 but bold. They were also available in higher capacitances up to around 220pF but now, values over 50 pF aren't available or not really NPO at all.

That's a problem when Cdom is 100pF and larger values have a tempco which writes them off as NPOs from the outset. If you want to check their quality, warm them without touching whilst the leads are attached to your best capacitance meter (the one that can read down to a few pF). The capacitance should be stable within 0.3%/K. The real problem I find, is that I can't easily buy NPO from trusted sources and Ebay junk is....mostly junk. Having to test parts carefully before use is a real pain because shop stocks may be surplus items, liable to dry up or change dramatically without notice.

The solution of MLCC or COG type in leaded or SMD form has been with us and discussed in many threads here over the years. They work, they're fine and as long as through hole parts live, you can buy them easily :)

I get my c0g/npo MLCC caps, all in 0805 SMD package, 200v or 500v voltage rating for Miller compensation, from element14. They are so affordable at about a penny a piece, some even cheaper than that, that you have to buy in thousands or combine order with other parts to justify the shipping cost:)

A problem with Vishay MLCC NPO capacitor, that is:
There is no available high voltage rating, low capacitance (few ten pico-Farad) type to using for compensation.
It is only 100VDC max.
I remember TI's document that say MLCC caps is better than mica caps at high frequency. So this is good reason to change from silver mica to MLCC NPO caps.

post5

Compensation caps need to have a stable dielectric, and that is their only requirement. As long as this is the case, there is no "sonic improvement"

Do not use disc capacitors such as you have pictured - they are typically Y5V or X7R dielectric, neither of which is suitable for compensation use.

Ceramics with an NP0/C0G type dielectric are highly stable and perfect for use. Silver mica works, but is excessive as they are large and expensive.

I've also used NP0 ceramic capacitors in filters e.g. the low pass filter on the input. I pay no heed to anyone who claims "ceramics sound bad"
The ceramic capacitor shown has a black stripe across the top. that indicates an NPO/COG ceramic, provided it is not made/remarked by a faker.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.