Is this used diy subwoofer a good deal?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought that sub. Drove all the way from beaverton in rush hour to get it. (I didn't mean to steal it from you if you were still considering it, I saw it on craigslist portland and raced over there the next day.)

I may not be able to keep it though so you may see it listed again shortly but not until I've enjoyed it as long as I can get away with.

The 12 I had in a small box was hard enough to get away with, but the lady of the house is mad as hell about how big this one is.
It's bigger than her end tables and twice as wide as the wpeakers she already complains about. :)

Troy

Awesome, I went and auditioned it. Nice sub. We were working a deal for some dahlquists but I decided to go another way. What are your thoughts on it? I couldn't really get a good listen since he lived in a fifth wheel. What are your mains that you are running? One worry I had was that its a 15" cone that is poly and has a 1-1/2" voice coil. Probably nothing to worry about though.

Dan

It's just flat out ideal. He couldn't demo it at all well in his place I know, but it was enough to see that it obviously worked.

I figured worst case scenario, like if it wasn't tuned right, it was worth it just for the driver and passive radiator but turns out it's perfect as is.

Bass is tight and accurate and suprisingly powerful. Blends just as it should with all four sets of mains I have. (one set at a time I mean, I do have too much of this stuff I admit.) The voice coil isn't as huge as other designs but it's certainly not lacking a thing.

At first it was way too boomy in the 20-30hz range (estimating) but luckily that just turned out to be a bass boost turned on in the receiver. I was concerned it was my plate amp originally.

I've since ditched the hk receiver and gone to a Rotel stereo amp and an older pioneer elite receiver. So far I have played with it with two pairs of smaller kef's, one large set of vintage Sansui sp-5500x's and a vintage set of StudioLab's. It's more suited to blending with larger speakers of course (the sansui's are 4 way with 16" woofers and the studiolabs are 3 way with 8") but if I set the sub amp to it's absolute minimum I can still get it to blend in with the little kef's.

Now I just have to figure out a way to hide it somehow or I have to give up some other stuff to keep it. I'm beginning to become a collector of sorts and the space in this small house doesn't allow that kind of thing.

I have a Sansui 9090 I'm rebuilding that's currently taking over the kitchen table, so hopefully if I get that and a few other things out of sight and out of mind I'll be ok to keep this monster. I wonder if I built a table to fit over it and threw a table cloth over it would the table still shake so much that it knocks nic nacs off it?
Would having it under a table and covered with a cloth affect the sound? Never tried such a thing...

Troy

Good, I'm glad it worked out for you. Do you by chance have your sansuis on craigslist, I think I saw them. I am having to unload right now also because of the WAF. I am down 4 pairs of speakers, 2 subwoofers, 2 amplifiers (hate to see some of them go), and about a million raw drivers literally (they're everywhere). So I am nowhere near done! Sometimes you have to make sacrifices to get what you want (PS3 :D )

Dan

No, I keep my sansui speakers in the garage, they are just too huge and ugly to get away with in the house. The kefs are smaller and less obtrusive so they are what's in the front room with the sub. k140's on stands and q30's for rears.

I plan to eventually get rid of every speaker I have and go down to one really nice set when I find a good deal on some larger presentable (and thin footprint) towers that I can also manage to match to some reasonably small surrounds.

I actually probably have around 5 amps and receivers, eight sets of speakers, four subs, two plate amps, so forth and so on.

Every time I see a killer deal I cave, and there have been a lot of killer deals lately. Bose and other little junk must be selling big in this area and replacing a lot of nice stuff. :)

Troy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.