• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Is this Telefunken fake or OEM?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear all,

Well, I am newly registered, but I acutally been following this place for years.

I need the help from you guys here. I have recently aquired some 12AU7 tubes, and one of them is a Telefunken, actually used and when I got it, it's still attached to the socket based of some old junks.

Telefunken.jpg

As you can see, there is no diamond stamp at the bottom of the tube. I am starting to wonder if it is a fake one or it's some kind of Telefunken OEM tubes?

JH

Difficult to tell from the photo, but the ECC82 appears to have a seam at the top of the glass. If so, it was almost certainly made in a Philips group factory. Does it have an etch code (on the side, near the bottom)?

The mica on the EL86 looks like it could have come from an RFT factory in East Germany. The shiny, pointed pins also suggest Eastern bloc.

Both of these may be genuine, in the sense that it was Telefunken who marked them and sold them. For some strange reason what is outside the glass can have as much or more effect on the price of a valve than what is inside the glass.

I have what I believe is a Telefunken ECC83, a Telefunken made Fisher ECC83 and a Telefunken EAM 86, all have a diamond (square ?) with a number embossed into the glass base. I can imagine that faking an ECC83 might be worthwhile but not a magic eye but am prepared as always to be proven wrong

:xfingers:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have what I believe is a Telefunken ECC83, a Telefunken made Fisher ECC83 and a Telefunken EAM 86, all have a diamond (square ?) with a number embossed into the glass base. I can imagine that faking an ECC83 might be worthwhile but not a magic eye but am prepared as always to be proven wrong

:xfingers:

Telefunken was the OEM for Fisher, Scott, and Dynaco supplied 12AX7As so I've no doubt you've got a genuine tele there..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.