Is this right? PSU smoothing caps connect + to - ... ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I wonder if you may be able to help?

I am building an external replacement psu for a power amplifier to learn a little about circuits and practice soldering.

In following the tracks on the board it looks like the + and - are connected which does not make sense to me, I know I am just a beginner ;-) is the attached possibly right?

Many thanks for your time!
Cheers
DC

Attachments

• Rega PSU.pdf
    95.7 KB · Views: 73
Joined 2011
it looks like the + and - are connected which does not make sense to me,

Yes, and that point is also connected to ground or common (not shown in your sketch).
Those are two separate, floating DC supplies, from two separate transformer AC secondaries.
One end of each DC supply is grounded to produce the correct polarity of each DC voltage.
One DC supply has the positive terminal grounded, and the other has the negative terminal grounded.
This produces two DC voltages, one a negative voltage, and the other one a positive voltage.
Typically, the negative speaker output is also connected to that same ground point.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.