Is this correct way to build DIY PR

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
I took a local 4" driver and removed the magnet. Can this substitute as a DIY passive radiator?

Here are some images

uDcHNRL.jpg

HsaWHCD.jpg

Other images for more clarity - Imgur: The magic of the Internet

I just want to know if I am on the right track just on the build aspect. Its a local driver I purchased from local speaker repair shop, there were no spec sheet available.

More info -

My goal is to use two of these with the ND91-8 driver along with it.

Last edited:
DIY PR

Removing the magnet of course will make a passive radiator , but so will shorting the voice coil leads. This creates a "back emf" that opposes cone movement similar to putting weight on to the cone. This will provide some damping of cone movement but the effect depends on many factors , which may help or hurt response.
" Try it , you'll like it "
Just another idea.
Ed

Technically, the total volume of air displaced (Vd) by the two PRs should be at least twice that of the single ND91-8 driver.

Roughly speaking, your 4" 'local' drivers should each be capable of a maximum cone excursion (Xmax) similar to that of the 3.5" ND91-8 driver itself.

Tuning by adding mass to the PR cones will be necessary.

https://www.parts-express.com/pedoc...ne-full-range-driver-8-ohm-specifications.pdf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.