Is this capacitor leaking

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got parasound pdd-1500 not working, just blinking when I push the source button.
Are this capacitors leaking or it is the glue? There are about 30 BG caps on the pcb and just few of them have the leakage/glue under.

Attachments

• bgcap2.jpg
    bgcap2.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 252
Hi
I think it is a form of glue rather than leakage, as it is formed
up around the capacitor base. See if your source button
clears when you turn off then back on again. also try the remote control
as source selection is available there and see if it improves. Perhaps
the switch is in some confused state and just needs the remote to
remind it what to do.

Cheers / Chris

I've got parasound pdd-1500 not working, just blinking when I push the source button.

Until the problem has been adequately trouble-shot and isolated, any discussion of the cause of the problem has a very large speculative content. I've seen equipment with leaking caps that ultimately failed for entirely different reasons.

Are this capacitors leaking or it is the glue? There are about 30 BG caps on the pcb and just few of them have the leakage/glue under.

The glues that are typically used to glue caps like these down to circuit boards (hot melt glue or silicon glue) are typically far lighter in color.

Silicon glue comes in as many colors as you can imagine, but is typically a translucent white if it does not have decorator color pigment added. Hot melt glue is usually found in its natural color which is a similar light translucent color or a slightly creamy light tan color.

My impression is that the BG caps were installed by some person with unknown skill levels (probably low, because magic caps are audiophile myths) so its hard to say what part of the apparent strangeness is due to failing parts and what part of the strangeness is due to bad quality installation.

See if your source button
clears when you turn off then back on again. also try the remote control
as source selection is available there and see if it improves.

Hi, Chris
Yes it clears, the same action with remote, unfortunately. Please check the attached video.

Until the problem has been adequately trouble-shot and isolated, any discussion of the cause of the problem has a very large speculative content. I've seen equipment with leaking caps that ultimately failed for entirely different reasons.
Right, that is why I'm here to show the problem and to ask for any help.

The first cap looks to have glue going 'uphill' so that's a pretty good clue.

I feel the same/

shrunk up the can. Is it running hot ?

No, it is light and shadow. not hot at all.

Have a scrape and inspect the tracks under it.
Yes, Seems I have to solder them out from the pcb to check it for sure.

I've checked in Google few Parasound Dacs PCB photos, seems like they liked to use that sort of fixing caps.
Guess I need to find other cause of the problem.

The signal is on coaxial 1, Coaxial 2 is empty. If I choose coaxial 1 display starts blinking and goes calm when empty IN is activated, coaxial, RF or Toslink.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzDvwqMd1Tc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.