Is this as good as it gets in 4 " Full range ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
you can get it in an off-gold colour if you don't like the grey.

It is copper coloured.

Alpair62MeN.jpg

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I guess what I am really asking is if I get a couple drive units from any mfg and put them on the woofer tester am I going to be in shock, feel like I got took or glad I went with that particular Mfg. and those curves provided by Mfg are pre broken in or post broken in drive units ?

You are putting far too much into the FR curves as a measure of quality. They are an indicator, but only tellpart of the story.

(PS. i hope you are talking Smith & Larson woofertester?)

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
... german magazines...

Some of the stuff i have seen from those make me really doubt the veracity of their measures.

Another problem imho is that some manufactures like Ma keep developing their drivers in quick succesion which results in constantly change specs

In defense of MA, the company has only been making drivers for 6-7 years, and but for a few exceptions the latest drivers are way better than the 1st gen.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
CHBW-70 1st Generation Wide Range Audio Driver, 4", Black paper cone.

I believe that is what Scott & Colin are using in Jenna. Chris also has them in his latest Castles. Definitely needs a tweeter. Basically a CHP70.2 with a 5 dB deeper shelf at the top. Not even sure if a 2nd batch of those was ever made (i'm sitting on quite a few, never sold any).

What may be of interest is the new CHN70 which is, at best guess, is a CHP70 in a less expensive lower profile CHP70.2 without the shelved down topend that made it inferior to the earlier CHP70/EL70 (CHP70.2 is still a nice driver)

dave

sdep777- I'd like to add a few squeaks to the conversation;

there is no best - of anything- period

what exactly is the application - i.e. bandwidth and anticipated operating levels?

I've heard a fair number of drivers in the size range under discussion - including several mentioned, and note that Fostex have yet to be included - there are a couple in their line worthy of consideration ( FF105WK & 85WK for example)

Exactly why constrain yourself to sealed?

As to the MCMs - I heard a "line array" using that or a sibling driver about a dozen years ago at a small audio show, and I left the room with a headache - so it was with trepidation that I first auditioned Jordan JX92, and subsequently Mark Audio CHRs and Alpair metal cones. IMHO, both these 2 brands are orders of magnitude superior to the MCM metals.

Last edited:
No point of including Fostex since their drivers are not suited to sealed boxes for the most part. There's only so much that can be expected from a 4" fullrange driver in a sealed box. I'd say the Alpair7 is the way to go if this is a fixed requirement, though there are some lower priced options if OK to goodish sound is enough.

I think "why constrain yourself to sealed" is a reasonable question. So +1. Why??

The old MCM 1870 were pretty good midbass drivers for the buck, and were happy in a tiny box. The upper freqencies weren't much to write home about if run WFO.

Last edited:
there is no best - of anything- period
what exactly is the application - i.e. bandwidth and anticipated operating levels?
Fostex have yet to be included - there are a couple in their line worthy of consideration ( FF105WK & 85WK for example)
Exactly why constrain yourself to sealed?

The new drivers will be used for my computer speakers point source driven by my "new to me" old amp I just received off of Ebay the B & K ST 140

Back in the 80s and 90s I built many speakers always looked forward to the arrival of my Speaker Builder Magazine and just preferred building closed box systems. keep it simple I guess

"Fostex" I have just not gotten to them yet but many seem to be for more esoteric cabinet designs which is just not what I prefer to build and beyond my cabinet making skills

"The best" well most people want the best they can get..... and you are right nothing is the best

Last edited:
OK then. Personal preference for sealed is a reasonable position. :D

One problem though is almost all available small full rangers are optimized for vented (or horns), largely because low efficiency is out of fashion.

Using EQ - yeah, that opens up the number of drivers that are viable, though you may run out of xmax on many of them.

Well then maybe I should be looking for a 5 inch full range instead of the 4 inch, it's just there seem to be many more choices in the 4 inch driver size. Tang Band makes a couple 5 inch that looked very good just have a question as to the validity of the published response curves. also Dayton has a 5 inch FR that is listed as more for pro sound applications and it has received very good owner reviews.

Last edited:
Well then maybe I should be looking for a 5 inch full range instead of the 4 inch, it's just there seem to be many more choices in the 4 inch driver size.

The Mark Audio 6p is an excellent driver for desktop duty. I've been running them in vented boxes (Planet_10 prototypes) for several years. At ~3ft, they have the capacity to melt your eardrums, so larger drivers with more power handling may not be necessary.

jeff

Last edited:
re Fostex drivers requiring more esoteric enclosures - certainly not all do. I've built literally scores of pairs from as simple as conventional ported or slot vented to folded labyrinths, BLH, MLTLs you name it

As Jeffie notes, for computer nearfield, the A6 works very well, as does the Fostex FF85WK - I own 2 pairs of those, driven by Topping TP30 digital amp.

As good as you can possibly get in this weight class? maybe not, but good enough for these aged, jaded and well damaged ears.

I agree with Dave that the alp 7 is a lot better.

You won't be shocked by the impedance plot, if you understand what you're measuring and how to interpret the data, something I'm not very proficient at myself. What I've learned and experienced is that Fs is usually higher than spec out of the box. I've had some that come back down after break in, but even then sometimes they just don't align. Despite this, box predictions are quite good, generally.

As for the frequency response, you should not expect to see similar results. As Scott pointed out, it's common practice to smooth and squish and what ever else the data into something of a straight line. You'll probably detect a general trend that is accurate. For instance, that Dayton you posted will likely have a 5db shelf above 1.2khz and once on a baffle even more. But will it be smooth like their data sheet suggests? I think not. The CHR70 shows some break up in the top 1.5 octaves. This will likely be more pronounced than shown and have a much more dramatic manifestation off axis.

well, the B&K ST140 is scads more power than one could possibly "need" for any computer set-up that I've ever seen, and while I've never heard one, what I've seen described as its "signature warm sound" should be taken into consideration - perhaps as compensation for the bright and forward presentation of some of the smaller drivers - particularly any of the metal cones listed - when used in the very near field.

In case you didn't notice it, check out this current thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/258482-aurasound-ns3-193-8a.html

These aurasound 3" drivers are intended for tiny sealed boxes. Efficiency is very low, but as has been pointed out, the B&K has plenty of power. Obviously, a 3" driver with 20w PE will never bring the house down, but should be fine for typical computer use, background music, etc.

BTW, I would describe the current edition Alpair 10.3M as relatively laid back sounding. It's not at all bright and forward. Previously, I was running the generation 2 CHR70, which was fairly bright, but I understand the current version has been revoiced.

Had a B & K ST-140 in the 80s they are only 125 watts per channel into 8 ohms , this one sounds very good from Ebay , anyway yea, I like the specs on the Alpair but ( and I have not seen one in person ) but those cone colors are awful looking has to be good looking besides good, with no grill I will have to look at them and I want eye candy NOT an eye sore

Last edited:
I've had a couple of those metal cone Mark Audio drivers. At first they sound impressive, but later on kicks in the listening fatigue, unfortunately. It's the metal cone resonances that are bad. They are sharp and decay is looong. Severe ear drillers.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.