Is the FE 108EZ a bad Driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
well,

looking at alot of japanese websites, most back horn mouths emit sound all the way up to 1500 hz if I am not mistaken, albiet with usually logarithmic decay, but hey, anything helps...

smaller horns tend to resonate a little more in that region too.

it is a horn driver, nothin more nothin less.

I feel that my 108 esIIs are the best full range driver ever produced by the human species. 25-30 to 20k response. razor sharp imaging. great tone after break in. regoddamndiculous detail. the only disadvantage is upper volume limit. the excursion runs out after a while. other than that i feel it to be the perfect loudspeaker.

Clark

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: well,

blumenco said:
looking at alot of japanese websites, most back horn mouths emit sound all the way up to 1500 hz if I am not mistaken, albiet with usually logarithmic decay, but hey, anything helps...

In most of those cases you end up with less than stellar midrange as the CC to get the mechanical XO that high causes a cupped sound*. As well everything coming out the horn mouth is time delayed wrt the front radiation. Best to keep it down low where it is less of a problem.

In the Replikon thread they talk about finding the "natural" (or something like that) volume for the CC. This is the volume that makes the front radiation sound best.

dave

HI

I'm tired of tweeters and I've been looking at the same unfinished open baffle speakers for months and they're too big for my desk.

I want to use these speakers in a small sealed box or small aperiodic box, as computer satilite speakers, with and without a sub depending on how I feel.

Is this a waste of a good speaker or will it not sound so good? I'm asking cause I noticed it had an EBP of 240 and every enclosue I've seen for this driver is a horn.

I have mine in small sealed enclosures, crossed over to larger woofers. They can certainly sound good without horns. There are two main problems though. First is a lack of bass, and really midbass isn't much to write home about as well. Second these drivers have a very small x-max. Outside of a horn with no crossover they will start distorting with very small volume levels. I had mine in small sealed enclosures and open baffles without a crossover, however they really started to get very hard to listen to at any volume. With a capacitor to keep the driver from over excursion they can be quite good in sealed enclosures. However maybe for computer speakers you will not need much volume and they may work out for you. You'll just have to try and see.
Joe

FE108ES measurements

hello all!

while i was searching in the net for information about the audio nirvana 10", i found this scan form the german magazin hobby hifi. if you klick on the picture you can make it bigger. http://img246.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fe108ezlk4.jpg

i thought this might be intresting for some of you.

the frequency response is not lookig very good. you can a 10dm hole fromm 600hz to 1200 hz.

look at the "harmonic distortion plot" (green is k2, blue is k3 and red is k5). they say it it only average in the midrange, but very good in the higher frequency range.

i know that some of you think the german magazin is only garabge and the measurements are wrong. i do not think this is true. the hole in the frequency response is imho a fact, other measurements confirm this.

now, it all does not mean that the fostex acutally sounds bad. not at all.

Regards
Mike

I think the 108 is a amazing driver for the price, and in the right enclosure and room there's some good bass there also. For late night or low listening levels it's an outstanding champion and when you want to rock the house within reason, it'll do that too. Great mid's, nice high's and quality lows.... Dave:)

hello all!

me again :). i thought a little bit more about "the hole in the frequency response" (almost a titel for a crappy short stroy or a bad novel, just delet the word "frequency" ;-)).

many people use the 108es and say it has the best midrange ever heard. strangely, looking at the frequency response, you can see a 10db deep hole between 600Hz and 1200Hz, that's excatly in the "magical" midrange.

are all these people wrong? i don't think so. i never heard the 108es, but even if i did and would agree that it has the best midrange i have ever heard, it still would have a 10db hole right in the midrange. so, how can it be that a driver with such a big suckout right in the midrage has the best midrange ever heard by many people?

i always thought that we want a linear frequency response to get a sound as good as possible. dumb questione, but can it be that the driver has the best midrange "ever heard" BECAUSE it has this deep hole? or, at least, the hole is an important aspect to produce the "magical midrange"?

Regards
Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.