Is possible to beat an B&W Box with an DIY Boxes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
well sorry for my english, ill try to explain what i will try to do.
Im from argentina, and im looking for 4 mids and 2 woofers to build 3 box.

one center channel MTM.
and 2 Frontal Boxes.

i want to build and High End speaker, i want to beat an b&w box, and dont know if its possible.

I already have the Tweeters.

http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=G2Si

so i need to buy at least 4 mids and 2 woofers.

Can someone tellme wich can i use?

i just want high end stuff.

my back box for my Home THeater will be B&W 602-S2. so at least i want to beat that boxes... i know that will be like impossible to beat high end B&W Speakers like 803-d, but at least i want to be close like that :D

Hope you guys understand me and can help me.

Thanks

Beating a B&W box can definately be done, look at the thread next to yours, ShinOBIWAN's percieve contruction diary

There are many other boxes on this site that I think are much prettier than B&Ws. If you are good at woodwork than all you have to do is come up with a unique design and you have beat most B&W boxes.

I think you need to pick your drivers before you start deciding on your box type. First of all are you sure you want to have an MTM style center channel? Are you even sure you want 3way fronts?

What is your budget?
Are you good with crossover design?Are you going passive or active?
Do you want high efficiency?
What amp(s) are you using?
Are you also going to have a subwoofer in the room or are you only going to use the fronts for the low frequencies?

Josh

wow dude, thanks for help me, im really happy with your post because u say that i can beat the B&W :D

well the Wookworking i can do it with an CNC so i think that will be easy and perfect.

ill try to answer your questions...

------I think you need to pick your drivers before you start deciding on your box type. First of all are you sure you want to have an MTM style center channel? Are you even sure you want 3way fronts?

no, im not sure abt anything.... i just have 3 tweeters G2Si.

and i see a lot of designs that use MTM in central channels... but i can do any design.

Abt the 3 way, no, im not sure,.... but i read that 3 ways are good. btw, it can be 4-5 ways too. everything is ok for me...

The budget depends.... i dont have limit,
i will use an pasive Crossover if is ok .
The amps i dont buy it already, i have an Yamaha 595a, but ill buy another soon some Rotel 120W/channel or something like that.

i already have an subwoofer is an Paradigm PDR-10
http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/SubWoofers/PDR_Series_Specs.htm

maybe i will build another if are not enough for my new boxes. but i think that will be ok....

the room are just 4mts*6mts
hope that this helps.

and thanks for your help in advance

What I think you should look at are the papers about MTM style center channels. If I were you I'd build a full range or 2way (not 2.5way) center channel unless you are not going to have others watching the movie with you and you always sit in the center.

I've been thinking of creating a system like this for myself (I also own a pair of B&W 602 s3) These are some thoughts of mine that you could use dual woofers large woofers each 4ohm wire them parallel and have a pretty efficient speaker. The woofers would probably be 8" or 10". The woofers would have a very wide frequency responce. espesially for this ribbon tweeter you are going to have to keep in mind where you are going to have to crossover. With the two woofers you can have one in a small sealed box and the other in a much larger vented box. So the bottom 3/4 of the box would be vented and top 1/4 would have the woofer and the tweeter and would be sealed. You could even try different designs like having the vented woofer facing the rear wall, or the side wall. These are just a couple ideas to fool with.

If you want the speakers to be efficient you might want to think about dual woofers. I'm afraid of crossovers so I would prefer to build a 2-way, but if you are comfortable than go 3-way.

If you search around a bit you can find a lot of really unique box designs that look much better than your typical rectangular box that most B&Ws are.

I think it is helpful if you can tell us a budget, or atleast say its around a certain amount of money. You seem like you are like me, who is willing to pay a little extra for better sound, but not too much more.

Search the internet for speaker designs you like that you could possibly build. Also look for loudspeakers that use the G2si, so you should look at the Aurum Cantus website. The other thing is a lot of diy pages use this tweeter.

here

Josh

Just an opinion, but I don't find B&W's smaller two way speakers to be that distinguishing in terms of sound reproduction to be notable. I've heard many monitors sound much better at a fraction the price.

The bigger B&W designs are what I consider their trademark, and to be honest I haven't heard any competiting designs, DIY or other, match the openess of that diamond tweeter. MTMs and other designs would sonically be on the other end of the sprectum than an 800 series B&W if you ask me.

samsagaz said:
wow dude, thanks for help me, im really happy with your post because u say that i can beat the B&W :D

oh it's incredibly easy to beat a BW speaker

you could probably "beat" a BW 800 for probably $800 in driver costs

A simple 3-way with Seas Excel midbass, Accuton mid and Seas tweet would probably completely destroy it if competently built

Wseaton said:

The bigger B&W designs are what I consider their trademark, and to be honest I haven't heard any competiting designs, DIY or other, match the openess of that diamond tweeter.

I have...

the Seas millenium bests it
every single alum ribbon I've heard is superior
the Focal tweet used in the watt puppy 7 is superior at least to my ears

My design ideas were not to clone a 2way by any means, but giving a suggestion on a type of speaker. I think samsagaz was talking about box asthetics, I was not discussing sound quality.

I think that as long as a speaker is well designed and built to those specifications it can beat a B&W atleast twice the price it cost to build. My first project using a pair of wr125s and some $13 tweeters beat my B&Ws 602s anyday.

I think that as long as the builder can design not only a good box to the specs of the driver, but the speaker be asthetically more unique than a rectangle it can beat most B&Ws. Obviously trying to reproduce a mid enclosure like that of the 800series or a speaker like the Nautilus will be hard to reproduce, but whichever design that you come up with, should be your favorite design and in your eyes, it should be prettier than B&Ws.

I must agree that the diamond tweeter sounds good, but I do not think that it sounds that good. I think it is very detailed but I don't find it to be as natural as some other tweeters.

Josh

Your tweeters are fine. They are "true" ribbon tweeters. These will resolve anything and everything you put in front of them. If I were you I would look for an existing kit design that uses them. Danny at GR Research had a kit he used to sell that used the

http://www.gr-research.com/discontinued/criterion.htm

Take a peek at the link. I don't know if Danny will give out the schematic, but I would not suggest you attempt a crossover design based on your level of knowledge. Stick with a design that is tried and true. Ask around for a design with your tweeters.

Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.