Is it worth moding?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Account Disabled
Joined 2002
I have an older (1992) technics CD player (SLPG100). It has the one bit MASH converter. Is this worth modifying, even just for the experience? I have taken a peak inside, and the transport looks really cheap- flimsy plastic. The power supply looks primitive and cheap. Oddly enough, I can't find any op amps! I can't seem to locate the crystal either. As you can tell, I'm really new to this kind of stuff. Should I just focus on modifications to my Sony SACD instead? This thing is just sitting here gathering dust, but I don't want to throw away my money either.
Steve

Account Disabled
Joined 2002
It's not that I need experience with electronics so much. I have been soldering and changing IC's etc. every day for the last 10 years! I just want some experience with CD players. I'm not sure what needs to be changed, etc. Obviously the power supply and output stage could use some help, but I don't know a lot about the digital section. I have read that an improved clock helps a lot. I guess my question is does this have any relevance to the newer players- will it help me figure out what to do to a newer better player.
Steve

Easy Jitter Fix

Hello SteveG and all,
A fast and relatively easy way improve things is to replace electros throughout with modern good quality SMPS grade caps.(RS Components, Farnell etc.).
A point worth noting is that for a given capacitance value, a higher voltage rated cap will give lower ESR value than a lower voltage rated example of the same make and type, so it is worth the price penalty of fitting the biggest physical size caps that are a comfortable fit - pay attention to conserving lead spacings, or be prepared to drill a few small pcb holes.
Also need to (must) add and a big benefit is to be had by fitting multiple parallel lower value types down to surface mount or tubular types.
This will help to give infinitely fast power supplies.
Have also found an RC network accross power supply caps to give blacker blacks.
Also there is much benefit to increasing the value ( double or triple value and more etc) of shunt caps, and also in increasing value of coupling caps to lower -3dB point.
I have been soldering and changing IC's etc. every day for the last 10 years!
This should be easy for you then !
A quick and easy way to improve/change the jitter perfomance is to simply add a thin earth wire ( I use stripped fine silvered wire wrap wire ) to connect the can of the oscillator crystal to
1: to a close by ground.
2: or to either connection of the crystal at either of the two shunt capacitors.
This fine wire will fit down the pcb hole next to the component lead, so no drilling etc required for this.

This will give three slightly different sounds - You get to choose which one !
Also worth looking at is beefing up earth runs.
I hope this can help you to both practice and get a result that you can enjoy - good luck.
Please give us all a report of your results........

Regards,Eric.

BTW - My experience of MASH ( Panasonic noise shaping ), despite the above improvements, is that it gives an initially impressive sound with much detail, but with extended listening can prove to be false detail that can become a little grating even.
Good for nitpicking monitoring but not so good for comfortable easy listening - IMHO.

Account Disabled
Joined 2002
Eric,
I find the same fatigue happening when I listen to the mash players. I don't really think that this thing is worth modifying- it's just too cheap. I may look into finding a decent cheap player to mess around with. The only problem there is to find a single tray player anymore! I hate the fact that everyone is going to multi-disk players. This couldn't be good from a jitter standpoint, could it? Thanks for all the good suggestions. I will look into using them in something that is worth the time to modify.
Steve

Account Disabled
Joined 2002
Skippy,
THanks for the tip. Could you give me any model numbers to look for? I would like to find something with a decent transport and build a complete DAC for it. I think i could learn a lot by doing that. My digital experience is somewhat limited, unfortunately.
Steve

Some of the cheaper Philips players are of Korean origin and not easily modded or worth moding.

What about a Pioneer stable plater legato link players, seen them in local cash convertors (second hand stores) for Aust$300.

The PDS702/802 and up put the Digital filter, DACs, opamps and Regulator ICs on a sperate board with a fair bit of room to play with, could be why Tricord and Theta used them.

Regards
James

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.