Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

A 4th order bandpass is a 4th order bandpass.... no way around it, they all do the same thing no matter what name you call it. If I say a PPSL is a truncated offset horn, I am not wrong. Transmission lines are backloaded horns, etc etc
You speak a different language and use terms differently than everyone else. A PPSL as a truncated horn!! No one else would view the situation like that. Basically your saying that a PPSL is a horn system without the horn, well ... yes that is technically correct but a poor way of expressing oneself.

Reactions: 1 users
"attack time" has nothing to do with GD.
Nothing?

This is my Horn Compression Driver, Outdoor unsmoothed GD...
1711658473246.png

This is the PPSL Indoor up close, If I smoothed the GD it would follow along similar to the Abbey below...
1711656816109.png

This is my Abbey indoor Measurements after I put smoothing on the squiggly GD...
1711657144486.png

Above are Time to Peak energy measures overlayed over top of Group Delay best I can.... How could you look at that, and think GD delay has nothing to do with Attack time (which is the same as Time to Peak energy)? Group Delay is result of arrivals and absolutely has something to do with time to peak energy according to what I see above.
Please explain....
The dashed line is the Peak energy time trace which shows the peak level in the plot at each frequency. This can highlight variations in peak energy arrival versus frequency - an ideal peak energy time trace would be a straight line with the same time value for all frequencies.
This is why I use GD a reverse engineering to accuracy. The more resolved the GD measurement, the closer together the arrivals are. My measurements of Diffraction horn follows suit, GD is very scattered... but if I were to smooth it, it will line up with time to peak energy, just like above. Time to peak energy is synonymous to Attack time on the Envelope of a synthesizer.
1711658892352.png
vs
1711658918332.png

The lines are just for show, as the attack time is adjusted it is a linear increase in amplitude.

If I am wrong, I am really interested to know what the truth is...

Last edited:
The problem is that mathematically GD means something completely different than atach time. You will not find the phase "atack time" in a book on signal processing - it is a term used by audio/electronic engineers to define how fast a compressor works or something like that. If it appears that GD and attack time are correlated then I know of no such evaluation. You seem to be drawing this correlation from your gut.

well Im not trying to overshadow whatever the technically correct is, I know my jargon is lacking but basic principle I think Im getting it.

1711662569373.png

Functionally attack time on a synthesizer envelope adjustment is synonymous to time to peak energy. Time to peak energy follows the trend of Group Delay.

It says verbatim above "time for signal to grow to maximum amplitude"
1711663741008.png

So as group delay and time to peak energy curve are related... I can change the attack time on my synthesizer and emulate group delay/time to peak energy, using whatever waveform or sample I choose. On a fancier synthesizer you can create unique curves that lead up to pink energy not just a linear one.

There's also all pass filtration involved in simple sound design tools but I can't create a curve like the all pass filters that we see in equalization involved in crossover design.. but from the little bit of googling I did last night I might be able to achieve that ability within my DAW with the right VST plug-in I'll have to look at it and if I find something that gives me that ability I'll buy it so I can test the stuff out. The other way that I can test this out is by creating filters that I host within the daw... thats a very logical way to create unique group delay character and then test out the results I just don't have the time to do it at the moment

Last edited:
"The horn serves to improve the coupling efficiency between the speaker driver and the air. The horn can be thought of as an "acoustic transformer" that provides impedance matching between the relatively dense diaphragm material and the less-dense air. The result is greater acoustic output power from a given driver"

This effect doesn't base on resonances. Resonances can happen but are side effects.
A transmission line is just a bunch of resonances. And many short PA "horns" are just resonators in their used frequency range.

A horn at least needs to TRY to manipulate radiation resistance and rise sensitivity
Does both lol Tractrix vs PPSL... Radiation Resistance? Check.
1711728914548.png
vs
1711728991456.png

Open baffle vs PPSL. Rise in sensitivity? Check.

1711729445522.png
vs
1711729249026.png

Horn loudspeaker
So no then?
" The horn can be thought of as an "acoustic transformer" that provides impedance matching between the relatively dense diaphragm material and the less-dense air. The result is greater acoustic output power from a given driver.[1]"

By this definition every vented enclosure is a horn lol.

Last edited:
@mabat a push push slot load. It is the smallest offset truncated horn one could possibly make where the face of the driver is in the line..
I like to say that a Horn is an acoustical transformer. That usually gets people going, According to Kolbrek this analogy is true but it does not fit what a transformer is in electrical circuitry being that its not wideband.

1711730011234.png
vs
1711730058481.png

Last edited:
Finally someone who is open minded lol! I mean at least there is a throat and mouth, and the source is offset in the line. I was thinking about the 4th order bandpass thing... I could call it a compression driver too I guess. Then I started thinking... is a compression driver a truncated horn? By definition, yes... I think even a woofer could be a horn
" The horn can be thought of as an "acoustic transformer"
1711730726367.png

What about a mechanical air vibration manipulation device? This might be better than Active Radiator technology....